The French winter pear passe-crassane

Passe-crassane pears have been on my radar since I first heard about them and I wondered if anyone has pictures and can share your experiences.

Mine is on its second leaf and it barely grew at all last year. It does seems to be growing a lot this year, but I don’t think I’ll have fruit next year, it still too small. So my experience is that it’s not in any hurry to grow… :wink:

1 Like

I can’t remember where I recently read an article about this French pear. The author loved it. The description sounded delicious.

However, it is a very late pear. So, I figure it would not ripen In time in my zone. My interest has gone down considerably as a result.

1 Like

My biggest concern is that it’s fireblight prone.

I grew this pear for awhile. I was not getting them to ripen well, lots of grit cells. I have heard it is a hard pear to grow in the east and I needed room so I pulled it. I wished I could have given it a few more years to be more certain.

1 Like

Yes, it is an historical pear, Comice type, but unlike Comice, very very gritty. There are many better varieties in that class. I concur that it is very late (more so than other Comice type pears), like early November in Zone 8.

1 Like

Gritty just does not sound all that great to me. Why are they so crazy about it in other countries?

I’m sure some of it has to do with the fact that it’s a fruit that’s available in February and March. But I’m sure the taste has something to do with it, also.

1 Like