The method to enjoy our sometimes frustrating hobby and obsession

will they be ok in cool, dark with little water? I’m concerned they’ll dry out and die if they only get a monthly water, or that 40F might get too cold for them. that’s how the figs keep over.

@Rosdonald I’m glad I’m not alone this thread is reassuring

I took in peppers a season or two. Issue I had with them is they got insect problems outside every year which gets contained outside but spreads badly inside

2 Likes

I’ll give them a bath in sevin at this point, I’m so angry I’ll just do it before I put them in. I’m too the point of whacking an entire shovel at any grasshopper I see, I knocked over an entire shelf doing this today

Yesterday evening I had at least 25 Hosui pears on my tree. This morning I had 1. I’ve seen squirrels in there so it must have been them. I’ve just never seen them take such a staggering amount in such a short time. Squirrels usually leave some half eaten specimens near by but I could find no trace of anything. Maybe they had some help.

1 Like

When I see a large amount of fruit disappeared overnight, my bet is on raccoons and opossums. Raccoons are the number one fruit destroyer in my yard.

2 Likes

Coons like to eat in while squirrels like to grab a bite to eat somewhere they feel safe. At this point, I can tell pretty quickly, even before looking up at the tree and seeing if it is tiny or substantial shoots that are broken.

Squirrels also often clear out a tree in a surprising hurry. With coons, it’s not so surprising.

1 Like

:smirk: :wink:

The birds have discovered my Fuyu persimmons. One is half eaten.

1 Like