The next step in pear rootstocks is clearly callery or gmo

Happy to teach.

1 Like

I’ve cleft grafted Harrow Sweet, Warren, Golden Boy, Leconte, and one other unremembered pear on random callery seedlings. Strong graft unions, extensive growth, quick to bear (though Warren and Harrow Sweet are only one year old so can’t say that yet), drought resistant. All have suckered from right at the base of the tree for several years. Considering the positive attributes, and the price, a small negative.

1 Like

@haldog

These seedlings i grow don’t do that but we know they are all genetically unique so it shouldn’t surprise us that a callery does that. Harrow sweet will have pears by next year but warren takes 5 years total or more.

1 Like

Who has found a way to make Warren blossom? Five years ago I grafted Improved Kiefer and Warren into a Potomac tree and pulled branches horizontal. Just four or five blossoms each year while the Potomac and Kieffer are loaded. Magness also a shy bearer but not as bad as Warren. Suppose I could try ringing or notching. Nearby I have Blakes Pride, Vavilov, Harrow Sweet.

2 Likes

@hambone

Warren is not a production pear. It’s quality not quantity so think in terms of 5 pears per branch being a really good haul! There is never any thinning required. Every year I get about 50 - 100 Warren pears total on half a tree. The other half the tree is Karls favorite aka ewart which is a heavy producer. That kind of production is about as good as it gets unfortunately. 100 pears from half a Warren tree 15 feet tall on callery is incredible production. It’s sibling Magness is a slightly heavier producer in my opinion. Magness and Warren’s only redeeming qualities are the taste and disease resistance. Magness is more fireblight prone than warren.
Potomac produces at least 4 - 5 x as good. Kieffer is an ultra heavy producer 10x or 20x better than warren. So every warren you get you should get 5 Potomac at least and 20 Kieffer in the same amount of space. Kieffer is a much heavier producer than Potomac.

1 Like

Clark- I’m getting the same production as you from those varieties. Less work thinning!

1 Like

@hambone

It’s just the way those trees are and many people don’t know it. They ask why I grow Kieffer and I tell them it’s like the russet potato of pears it will feed you.

1 Like

Here is a pic of a callery grafted with an asian variety 3 weeks ago.

And since everybody needs a place to sleep, look where this guy is hiding out.

7 Likes

The wild callery are showing up pretty good here now. Most everything else has dropped leaves… but many callery still have some nice reddish leaves.

I am going to transplant some of these to graft to next spring.

3 Likes

Pear rootstocks:

those “benificial” genes will always be damaging to health. GMO’s are the biggest threat to nature and humanity, Italy and Russia have it right GMO’s are illegal., and it shows, there are no human freak shows like “the people of walmart” over there.

Unfortunately there are already GMO apple rootstocks. When will the horrors end?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/41410050_Effects_of_transgenic_rootstocks_on_growth_and_development_of_non-transgenic_scion_cultivars_in_apple

Pacific Crabapple is a very good wetland apple rootstock by the way, callery for pears, and antonovka and betulifolia for drought-there was research on that on stolen Palestinian land.

1 Like