The pears you may not have heard of and should consider growing

It fruited in the 4th seasons. Did the scion I sent to you take?

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
Thank you yes Iā€™m definitely growing honey sweet. No question itā€™s a Seckel type pear it looks just like them. The claim is the flesh is of the highest quality what is your opinion? I suspect it as an extremely high quality pear because it looks like it would be. Itā€™s a very late pear in terms of breaking dormancy so I bet itā€™s very popular in colder areas.

Yes, the flesh is smooth and a high quality pear. A good variety to add to your collection.

Tony

2 Likes

Here mentions the parentage https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1436256

[quote=ā€œclarkinks, post:102, topic:5824, full:trueā€]
Tony,Thank you yes Iā€™m definitely growing honey sweet. No question itā€™s a Seckel type pear it looks just like them. The claim is the flesh is of the highest quality what is your opinion? I suspect it as an extremely high quality pear because it looks like it would be. Itā€™s a very late pear in terms of breaking dormancy so I bet itā€™s very popular in colder areas.
[/quote]Click on the link I shared above, then click on ā€œDetailed Accession Observation Pageā€. As you can see they rated the fruit quality being a 7 out of 9. A lot of people on this forum are loving pears that are 6 or 7 out of 9. The best any pears they have rated got is 8 out of 9.

Any body heard of a pear called Lady Petre? I got a piece of scion grafted on this grafting workshop I went to few weeks ago. I liked the history of a local pear. Just wondering if anybody grows it and if itā€™s any good?

Few pears are going to be rated 9 out of 9.

1 Like

Corvalis lists ā€œLady Petreā€ are virus infected. I get confused because they do not say what with whenever they say virus infected. Yet there is at least one variety that Corvalis says is virus infected and that people on here are getting. Here is info on ā€œLady Petreā€ https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1656332 itā€™s supposed to be very good

Thanks. Hopefully it wasnā€™t a mistake to add it (if it turns out to be a success )

1 Like

I posted this on the ā€œwhat are you orderingā€ thread but didnā€™t get any response. I ordered a Harrow Sweet pear from ACN recently, and was able to get it on OHxF87 rootstock. Can anyone comment on the precocity of the variety and rootstock? I know from an earlier thread that pears can take their time to start producing, but was wondering about this combination.

I got the tree based on so many positive comments on this pear. So, any comments on the pear itself, as far as its growing habit, texture, taste, storage characteristics would be welcome. Thanks.

1 Like

Harrow sweet is a very good pear though this is everyoneā€™s busy season so responses are hard to come by. It can produce blooms in a year or two so focus on getting the pear tall and the correct shape. Donā€™t worry about the fruit it will fruit very fast on any rootstock. The fruit tastes good but the peel is not that great by my taste. As far as storage goes I canā€™t help you out with that. Itā€™s @alan favorite pear so if he slows down perhaps he can comment on this

The entire Corvalis facility was closed to virus infection and reopened this year. Some trees not infected are labeled as is infected from that quarantine. The ones infected at the bottom of the page will specifically say what they are infected with. Viruses such as stony pit are not easy to isolate so much so they still have never isolated a virus at all. When getting trees or scion wood from any source keep viruses in mind. Many people have 30 varieties growing on one tree and if 3 of those varieties are virus infected which is likely all 30 types they have now have 3 viruses.

Ok I will contact Corvalis and ask them about the viruses on the best sounding varieties, I know they do heat treatments to get rid of viruses, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnā€™t. I wonder if that saved pear that we just received is virus free.

The pear variety ā€œRescueā€ Corvalis says that it has a virus, that is one that I will ask about.

1 Like

Last year tiny pears with the skin color of bosc pears formed they stayed hard and tiny until they fell off, I heard that the first year of production the fruit on Honeysweet is not good. That was one season after I planted it so I was not surprised they aborted hard. I got mine from one green world.

1 Like

The majority of pears do seem to produce a poor quality pear the first year. Some pears produce something little better than walnut husk the first year which are now some of the best.

Gourmet pear has been on my radar for a couple years, found scions at the Mofga swap and put it on OHxF97. Description sounds good- crunchy, juicy with the texture of an Asian .and flavor of a euro, cold hardy and fb resistant.

3 Likes

@subdood_ky_z6b, last spring I grafted Harrow Sweet onto a root sucker of an old pear tree, and this year I have a tree that has set many fruits! So I can tell you that it is definitely precocious. The fact that I grafted it to a root sucker of a large established tree (unknown rootstock) may have added to the speed at which it grew, but I also grafted Tyson, Magness, Ubileen, Hood, and Maxine to root suckers, and NONE of them have grown as fast. Of those, only Harrow Sweet and Hood had any flowers, and with Hood it was just one cluster. I had to prune Harrow Sweet way back. I know itā€™s strange to graft to root suckers instead of getting rid of them or moving them, but my big Winter Nelis has many problems, including termites, and Iā€™m figuring it wonā€™t last forever, so the the grafts to root suckers are backups. When the old tree has to be cut down, Iā€™ll let the grafts on the root suckers grow big. (If anyone else has ever done this, Iā€™d like to hear how it worked!)

3 Likes

Thanks, Lizzy, thatā€™s certainly encouraging about Harrow Sweet. I havenā€™t planted the tree yet, but hope to get it in the ground soon, along with other plants.

1 Like

I have Harrow Sweet on OHxF.87. It is precocious. It gave me one fruit the first year after transplant. It took last year off. This year, it has several flower clusters coming onā€¦

4 Likes

I grafted Harrow Sweet onto several places in 2016 and each one has at least one fruit bud. This will be a special pear in my opinion especially when you first start growing fruit.

2 Likes

@clarkinks ā€“ I canā€™t grow any of the pears youā€™ve suggested in my locale ā€“ in fact Hood is the only cultivar that Iā€™ve seen produce consistently.

2 Likes