The plants you would not think are edible and people eat

That looks delicious!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve mentioned this to peopleā€¦and invariably they wrinkle their nosesā€¦thanks for the info.

3 Likes

Another plant not yet mentioned is wood sorrel. It has an acidic taste similar to citrus from its oxalic acid content. The internet tells me it can inhibit calcium uptake if eaten in large quantities. This stuff is one of those ā€œinvasive nativesā€ if you allow it to take over an area in PA.

1 Like

Iā€™m anxious for that first mess of POKE.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been culling out all of the poke that comes up and flushes red quickly. After a few years of that I have one that is 3 feet tall and I donā€™t see any red on it yet. Hoping that one will make lots of seeds and lots of seedlings! D

1 Like

Interesting.

Weedy edibles:
Yampah, Camas, Daylillies, ā€œFrench Scorzoneraā€ aka common brighteyes, Redbud, Wisteria blossoms, locust blossoms, Smilax vines (taste a bit like bitter sweet peas), Chicory, Wild Violet, almost all Mallow family plants (rose of sharon, okra, mallows, etc).

1 Like

Iā€™d not thought of eating rose of sharonā€¦you have a recipe or how-to prepare?

Mucilaginous. I just send the kids out to the ā€œsalad treeā€ when they ask for a snack. I could see how it would be fine in soups in which you would put spinach and not mind a thickener.

Too measly for a whole salad.

Can be added an addition to a salad.

https://pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?latinname=Hibiscus+syriacus

Wisteria blossoms are very toxic. *

Wisteria* species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including brown-tail. ā€¦ All parts of the plant contain a saponin called wisterin, which is toxic if ingested, and may cause dizziness, confusion, speech problems, nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, diarrhea and collapse.

2 Likes

I like purslane raw in the garden. I hose it off and eat it directly.

3 Likes

Wisteria sinensis Chinese Wisteria PFAF Plant Database makes it sound like a few parts are edible. However, I will take what you said and show my wife, so sheā€™ll finally let me remove ours and plant something more nutritionally valuable :slight_smile:

Not a plant but a fruitā€¦ Litchi Tomato (Solanum Sisymbriifolium)ā€¦ i love them!

Litchi Tomato - Eat The Weeds and other things, too

2 Likes

In the south called Sengā€¦ up around NYā€¦ many call it Shang.

Ginseng.

TNHunter

6 Likes

Nice big roots those are old ginseng plants.

1 Like

Nice roots, are they wild or cultivated? I have some seeds in refrigerator and am going to plant them soon

1 Like

That is wildā€¦ that largest one is the youngestā€¦ count the flats on the root neckā€¦ each flat a year.

That largest young root was just in ideal locationā€¦ great soil and getting some morning sun.

Best time to plant seng is in the fallā€¦ early spring planting for me never worked that well. I have seen others up north have better luck with that.

The long necks in that bunch were in the 25 30 year old range. I have harvested 60 70 YO roots.

TNHunter

1 Like

Spring planting should work fine since the seeds are stratified in the 'fridge?

Yes. Stratified in frig.

Do you by chance want to sale these ginseng?