The problem with clay soils - rain or drought

I would be digging out and making clay all the time. then throwing leaves back on top and hoping for the best. I have a coworker who throws pottery and she’s always going to people’s places and digging for clay soil to process. she pulls the clay out with water soak then puts the debris and other soil back.

1 Like

Okay. I expect this to be a bit of a test of the mound approach to planting apple trees in my area of poorly draining clay. The remnants of Ian gave us a fairly evenly dispersed 6"-ish of rain over the last 4 days. I expect the ground around the mounds to be squishy for another 2 or 3 days while things dry out. Although the temperatures have been much lower than in summer (highs only in the mid 60s), the trees are certainly not dormant and some, like Bramtot, were still putting out a few leaves. So… what signs of root rot might one keep an eye peeled for in mid-October? Any thoughts?

1 Like

look at the base of your trees - they should not be cracked or weakened

2 Likes

Thanks for the photos… Out of curiosity, what was the fate of those trees?

It was a pear I took out of the ground and didnt want it to overwinter; it probably could have survived but it got replaced

how high are the mounds? that and how well draining the soil used to mound them makes a big difference in tree survival. i double the coarse DE and perlite in my mix used for my trees. my best results were promix with more perlite/DE added. then i put a lightly tamped 4in of woodchip mulch on that.

1 Like

Mounds are a but over a foot high with an additional 3 inches or so of mulch. The soil in the mound is a mix of the clay underneath, commercial top soil with a bit of perlite and kitchen compost. I think it drains pretty well so I don’t worry too much about the top foot of roots. The area is sometimes wet in the spring for weeks with a concurrence of rain and melting snow. when we bought the place there were a couple of dead trees in the area. The mound planting is a bit of an experiment to see if the natural disadvantages of the location can be overcome.

1 Like

@rubus_chief

What you see there is the bottom part is rootstock and the top part is scion. All grafted trees are joined like this.

1 Like

i have heavy clay/ rocky soil here and every tree ive put directly in ground has slowly died. if you had the same experience, you wont regret doing it this way. i have over 60 plants trees done this way and they all flourished and still are 6 yrs later.

1 Like

Any particular Promix? Do you mix in any of the indigenous soil or simply make a mound of your new soil?

think it was the b.t promix. i dont mix in any native soil. i just lay down a 4’x4’ piece of cardboard, drive a stake down in the middle. place root ball on the cardboard and mound/ tamp the soil up to the soil line on the tree. tie off to the stake. mulch them and water well. for a few years you may need to add soil around the soil line as the mound settles. eventually after about 5 years the mound will have mostly disappeared, and the tree will be well established in your soil. only things that do well in my soil without mounding are elder, aronia , hazels, serviceberry and mulberry. lost about half of my raspberries to root rot because i didnt build a big enough mound for them but the 2 aronia bushes next to them are each 12ft. high and 8ft wide.

1 Like

Much of my strategy to dealing with clay soil i to use hardier plants and rootstocks.

2 Likes

Any recommendations on rootstocks? I also have thick clay soil. Hopefully the dozen trees I just bought based upon my research on rootstocks hold up…

1 Like

@HunterHomestead

For pears or what do you want to grow?

I am growing both pears and apples right now, and just got a few more pear trees and about a dozen more apple trees.

1 Like

@HunterHomestead

BET rootstocks are hard to beat in clay for pears and mm111 for apples. Like callery pears but noone is selling them since they became invasive. For good reasons they grow great.

I knew it would be the one rootstock I didn’t get. I am trying to stick with dwarf/semi dwarf and heard m111 is difficult to keep manageable. So, I opted for a combination of G.11, G.41, G.935, and Bud.9, which I heard are good for most soils plus have good disease resistance. Although, let me know if that is incorrect.

2 Likes

@HunterHomestead

The only ones that really worked for me i listed. Mm111 can barely grow apples here they are the best and dwarfed. Do grow seedling apples here as well. Ohxf rootstocks work fine also for pears.

1 Like

The nursery folk are going to hate me for changing my order the 10th time. Maybe I will try some m111 given your experiences. Most of my pears are OHxF87 (if I recall correctly).

1 Like