The retail online nursery industry has imploded

One green world Grafts their citrus trees to the correct root-stock despite the increased difficulties in doing so. I would buy citrus form them only. Everybody else grafts to easily grafted root-stocks instead.

2 Likes

ForestFarm is now a non-profit…Pacifica. They’re more interested in messaging than furnishing plants from around the world it seems.
I’ve ordered from them things i couldn’t obtain elsewhere.
But a 5-gallon pot (18-30 inch skinny plant) may cost $75 in the catalog, but $175 or $190 counting shipping and sales tax!

3 Likes

@BG1977 Try checking the Oregon Nursery Guide
I did a quick search and found Abies pindrow at Peace of Mind and Eisregen at Bountiful Farms

1 Like

retail nursery prices are way to high.

1 Like

These are both wholesale nurseries @markshancock

@BG1977 I should have read the title more carefully. The trees are available, if you want retail, you could ask the wholesale nurseries who you could get them from (who they sell to) or ask the nursery you normally buy from if they could order them for you. If minimum quantity is the issue, you may have to rally enough other buyers to go in with you.

1 Like

I actually saw “Karl Fuchs” at Lowe’s in Somerset KY for $199.00 last spring.
And a bunch of “Feeling Blue”.
Peculiar as no other Lowe’s had any such trees. Also saw male Pistache tree at half price in October…but I have enough inventory to just buy and sit on it.

2 Likes

The previous owners ran Northwoods concurrently with One Green World, and I think Northwoods still supplies much of their stock.

Very cool, and a bit surprising, that they offered to save scion wood for you.

1 Like

I would like yuzu on something more vigorous than Flying Dragon though. Is there something suitable?

I have Fedco as a local back-up…I’m getting a few things from them this spring. It still irritates me that they are no longer allowing locals to pick-up their order no matter how close you live to their warehouse. They are only charging a $10 delivery fee though. Adams County is my go-to for fruit trees here in the Northeast but they sellout very quickly in the fall.

3 Likes

It’s not just the online nurseries that are disappearing. Almost every independently owned brick-and-mortar nursery is gone in the county where I live. There are only 3 left in the whole county, and one of them is Bay Laurel, which I think stays in business mostly due to its online sales.

In general, except for during the pandemic, people seem to be losing interest in gardening–at least where I live. They just want to plant drought-tolerant and/or native plants and forget it.

4 Likes

Forced closures due to the coronavirus was devastating to many a mom/pop business that didn’t get considered ‘essential’. Many are permanently out of business.

Have heard of Bay Laurel, but have not ordered.

1 Like

I agree about the coronavirus making things tougher, but the nurseries have been disappearing for over a decade, long before the pandemic.

I like Bay Laurel, although I have not had them ship me anything because I am so close. I used to actually live in the same town where they are. Now I’m about 20 miles away. But I have been buying from them since around 1990.

3 Likes

They are the largest source of Dave Wilson trees including the Zaiger creations of pluots and the rest. When they ship, they put trees in short boxes and cut off most of the roots.

2 Likes

I am heavy into grafting, get sionwood from members, visa versa. When I went into citrus, got a lot from exchanging with knowledgeable members in the citrus field. It only took a few years to collect the finest in stuff I am interested in. 30 tree’s is enough, not interested in the next best thing in citrus.
Got a few more of those big’n’s. They can’t sell me nothing , that’s why.

13 Likes

All my figs, citrus, cherries, and 3 pears are home grafted. I used Callery rootstock, sour orange rootstock and US897. Flying dragon and poncirus trifoliata. This includes kumquat trees from seed and sour cherry trees from seed.

2 Likes

The opposite is happening here than what you said. More people seem to be getting into gardening then ever. I remember last year baker creek had to shut down it’s website a bunch of times just to keep up on orders. Costco had bare root fruit trees for 18 or 19 dollars in March or April and there was bare root fruit trees in basically everyone’s cart it seemed like. In 2020 when I first started gardening soil was completely sold out many places. Even this year many bare root fruit trees are already sold out or close to being sold out. I do remember seed sales being vary ironic though because people would state in a gardening facebook group they could not find seeds anywhere last year but I walk at the mall and pass through a Target constantly to get in. When they were complaining about everyone being out that Target had a full shelf of seeds. I do believe there has been a big increase in gardening since covid19. Look at all the posts from 2020 about victory gardens becoming a new thing. I think this year someone posted a article about how veggies are stale and more expensive which to be suggests the new gardeners are starting to point their heads towards fruits more so than veggies. In other words I think people started with seeds for veggies and in the last year or two are rearing their heads towards fruit which is more expensive and more care overtime which will increase sales in nurseries even more.

8 Likes

You can save a few $ at WalMart or Amazon , but that’s money the local people don’t get.
Goodbye to the small
independent retail stores.

2 Likes

I’m just one person, but I’ve not even been in a WALMART for 100+ days.
And I’ve not ordered from Amazon in many months. And, if possible, I avoid anything Made in China. So, I’m doing my part to help my neighbors rather than those far away. I even paid the $16 a pint asking price for honey from a member here in the past 30 days when I could have gotten imported honey for $13 a quart from a chain store.

I spent around $1,000 online and around $10,000 on nursery stock from Kentucky vendors (some from the box store, but most from private owned nurseries) in 2021. Except for fruit trees and grafting supplies, most of the other items I sold at a markup to customers.

Retail online is indeed going more and more to the big guys (though unlicensed nursery sales are happening on eBay an Fa…book and so on quite a bit).

Garden/nursery sales have been up for a half dozen years here in Kentucky. A dozen years ago you’d be lucky to find any fruiting plants at a Big Box store. Now it’s a quarter of their display.

I think the trend continues here of folks growing more.
(Unfortunately there’s likely to be a ‘next’ disease that causes panic after herd immunity is reached in this one and the attention dies down.)

4 Likes

Yes, that’s why I qualified my post with “except during the pandemic.” It may be different where you live, but prior to the pandemic, hardly anyone here was interested in gardening. I belong to a garden club, and even the garden club members aren’t very interested in gardening. They mostly like looking at other people’s gardens and socializing.

I think the pandemic demand for plants, seeds and gardening supplies is going to go back down if the pandemic ends. It will be like the people who got pets to keep them company, then gave them back when they went back to work.

4 Likes