The retail online nursery industry has imploded

I have watched artists/creators that get so possessive of their creation and fear of what might happen to it that no one ever ends up seeing their creation and by self fulfilling prophesy, it ends up being the last thing they create, and they vanish into obscurity.

Creators create, that is what we love and what we do, we need to gain benefit from our creations so be can create more but if we hold onto them too tightly we never learn what we could have been and done. It is a balance.

Note: 1% of anything is more that 100% of nothing.

3 Likes

Sometimes you’ve got to give free samples to get 'em hooked.
Then, you can get a fair price for your product or skill set.

2 Likes

Those “free samples” are a good way to get feed back for the plants under various growing conditions too!

3 Likes

I heard when Post-In Notes were first created that 3M management did not believe they were a viable product. So, the creator (Dr. Silver) handed them out to various 3M dept secretaries so that people could try them out. After that did not work, he cut the free supplies to the secretaries. That worked!
The secretaries got upset at their dept heads and the wrath of the secretaries convinced management that it was a viable product.
Often you have to give to get.

3 Likes

Add Joy Creek to the list of nurseries no longer serving the public.

Its a shame, there used to be a half-dozen or so good clematis nurseries. I can only think of 3 now, and one of them barely counts…

Scott

1 Like

I think Classic Viburnums… a nursery in Nebraska is evidently also closed up this year.

High Country Gardens and Santa Rosa Gardens are perennial nurseries on opposite sides of the country that seem to be doing fine though.

So many small family or one-person nurseries go out of business as the founder gets sick or dies…that’s another issue. No young person seems interested to take on debt to then have to bust their butts and maybe not even make a go of it.

2 Likes

websites like this may be the only way to get hard to find plants and trees in the near future if something doesnt change and nurseries go out of business.

Could some of what is happening with the small nurseries have other drivers and COVID / The Big Quit was just what pushed them over the edge? I have seen reports that the larger nurseries are seeing record growth.
I know years ago when I was in Houston, farms near Houston were going out of business because 1) The descendants no longer wanted to do the hard work of a farm 2) The growth of Houston made the land became worth much more for Housing and shopping. It was just too “valuable” to use for farming.
When we moved to CT, I saw this happening too as friend’s old family Dairy Farm turned into a golf community.

1 Like

Actually the corona virus caused more than the normal amount of folks to plant vegetables and fruits.
(But, in those states that had policies for closure of ‘non-essential’ businesses…it may have put some out of business.)

1 Like

Oregon has been one of the tightest on mask use and social distancing.
Here, from the start, nurseries here have been considered essential businesses - equivalent to grocery stores.

3 Likes

Many small businesses fall victim to the same problem. They work their business hard to send their kids to extended schooling. Then the children have careers and no interest in the family business. Large companies enter the scene offering inflated prices for their land or business. Business gone and owner moves to Florida.

3 Likes

I think this is a little dramatized, there are still plenty of online nurseries. Perhaps there should be a Growing Fruit co-op…various people grow things for distribution to other members after they buy in some amount to cover expenses. Doing it regionally would be better imo, shipping plants stinks.

6 Likes

And if I may add, Robert, the things many of them learn in ‘extened schooling’ isn’t as valuable as that 'ar stuff that comes from the back end of a bull.
:open_mouth:

Parents gave up oversight of the kids it seems and let strangers do it…alas, the consequences.

The Fa-cebook and eBay and such have created a black market…but brick and mortar nurseries are having a tough go…and traditional sales to local customers are
destroyed if someone on Amazon can supply it from Timbuktu for 30 cents less.

1 Like

Thank you for the links on Trademarks. I find it fascinating, and realize my understanding of how they work was flawed.

1 Like

It’s tough to ‘re-educate’ the big box and Amazon shoppers that they’re doing something
that’s bad for the community…and ultimately bad in limited lines of choice. after so much of the small business has gone out of business.

4 Likes

I remember watching a documentary on Amazon. They talked to business owners who sold on Amazon. The owners said something like 8 out of 10 sales came from Amazon. I have seen stores selling off Amazon and they actually have their stuff cheaper off Amazon. I tried selling some things on both Facebook and Craigslist. Craigslist came out with more scammers so you have to know what you are doing but Craigslist came over the top on prices. The people looking to buy on Facebook were really cheap. In regards to college I spent 1 semester in college. I felt what I learned and did could have been self taught. You really only need college if you intend to become a doctor. Many advocates for college say do you really want a doctor operating on you or a lawyer representing you without a college degree. To those people I say that is only a few jobs out of many that require it. For example do I really need a associate degree to sell phones at Verizon. I applied there and they actually do wants a associate degree.

1 Like
3 Likes

thats $#@%* horrible!

2 Likes

I used to work at Home Depot. Sellers destroying merchandise is nothing new. I saw grills in the trash, plants in the trash, cement in the trash etc. Heck one time I got a snakeplant when I bought oregano. I called them and not only did they refund me but they also let me keep the snakeplant. Likely because it was cheaper to give it to me instead of send it back.

throwing away damaged or parts missing stuff is one thing but destroying millions of dollars of merchandise that’s new and in the box downright shameful and wasteful! we’ve become such a spoiled country. imagine the good these goods could do for the poor. amazons so filthy rich they would rather not deal with selling off their extra stock. this should shock anyone that’s ever had to struggle to make ends. meet. i have and this behavior infuriates me! amazon you bite!

3 Likes