The truth about mulberry?

One of my fun spring projects is to make a 4-way mulberry from my Kokuso. I got a bunch of scions from Cliff. Illinois Everbearing, Rupp’s Romanian, Shangri-La, Kim.

2 Likes

there are two types of dwarf mulbs-- gerardi’s(supposedly an alba) and black mulberries (nigras), but not sure what you meant by imparting cold-hardiness when grafted onto dwarf types. Gerardi’s are definitely cold-hardy, whereas nigra’s are not.
but then again, many mulbs are grafted onto wild alba’s which are quite tolerant of having cold feet, so i guess it boils down to simply keeping the cold-intolerant scion’s branches warm

1 Like

How is your David Smith mulberry doing? I’m interested in it because it is said to be more compact than most mulbs.

I see no difference if fruit size / quality or season between David Smith and the wild mulberry here. I’m planning on taking it out. It might be different if grown California.

1 Like

Does anybody have Miss Kim? Any comments? Any scion?

1 Like

Thanks for the information, it seems most other people agreed with you as it is nearly impossible to find for sale anymore.