The Ultimate Japanese Beetle trap

Just getting around to updating the results of my experiment with Japanese Beetle traps, using the 5 gallon bucket and the large trash can. I won’t bother with it again. For one, my diligent efforts from the year before, emptying more than once a day, produced a huge decrease in the amount of beetles in 2020. So I didn’t need the large containers. Plus, they really didn’t draw as well as the smaller hanging, quart containers from Gemplers. Maybe the horrible smell after a week or so repelled them. It did me! I have a couple of acres and in 2021 will hang 4 or 5 of the Gemplers traps around and patrol them regularly.

4 Likes

Should have set traps this year they have arrived in very large numbers. They are attacking unripe peaches, grapes, and apples. Seedless concord, Reliance peach, honeycrisp apples specifically.

4 Likes

I believe that treating the ground under your trees with larvicide in the Fall and Spring is the most effective control.

2 Likes

@Richard

These are flying in from neighboring properties as well. They don’t just come from here.

1 Like

JBs arrived here as usual first week of July and flew right to their favorite tree, the White Gold cherry. When I saw the usual defoliation, the cherries being all picked, I hit the tree with the usual insecticide.

But within about 10 days, all the JBs were gone. Everywhere. Not even on the shrub roses, which I don’t spray. Just … none. I can’t explain it, but I sure like it!

2 Likes

Thinking about hitting the trash can sale and was wondering how many I’d need for a 400’×1000’ area

1 Like

@noogy

It depends on your area but one or two should do it.

With these 9+ rectangular acres I was thinking maybe 3-4, but if 1 will take care of them all, great!

1 Like

@noogy

It all depends on how it is setup. As an example i considered using 1 over my fish pond. Cut out the bottom and they could go in but never come out. The fish could swim up and eat them. If you wanted to you could use 4 and put one on every corner of your property. Some years 10 traps wouldnt be enough here but other yearsmy trap above worked great.

1 Like

I think 6, 1 for each corner, one for center and I love the fishfeeder idea too, so one there. I bet the gills, bass and sunfish will also!

1 Like

@noogy

While your at you might want to drive a fence post in your pond using a boat or wade out there. Tie a solar light on top or duck tape it about 6 inches above the water. At night the insects are lured to the light and your fish get fat off the pests.

2 Likes

Anyone use these? They appear to be out of yellow winged funnel

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me… i need to remind my neighbor to buy some… personally i dont want lures… but i want him to lure all mine to his house.

this is what they use… i think there is a spectracide one too… they use pheromones to lure males and females.

2 Likes

I can imagine how that might work with a 33 gal can…or 5 gal bucket.

1 Like

I hung a trap near a large bed of Lilly of The Valley. Within a minute a swarm of Japanese Beatles ross into the air. I quickly sprayed them with an insecticide and killed hundreds in just a few minutes. The chemical attractants work well.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it does appear that we as humans are the main predator for these dang things… your quote reminded me…

However there may be a more peaceful and less dangerous method.

“The poisoning effect of geranium flowers on beetles is not a new discovery; it has been reported in scientific papers dating back to the 1920s.”

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/2010/mar/garden

There is a natural spray made from soaking cedar planks… i really like this recipe.

Simply take a few red cedar planks say a foot long each and put them in a one or two gallon bucket. Pour hot water over it and let it steep like tea for 24 hours. Cut the planks in half if needed, but make sure they are totally immersed in the hot water.

3 Likes

I did not know this until recently… My wife has a bunch of flowers in pots and has been picking JB’s off of them. She pointed out that there were numerous of them already dead on and around some Geraniums. Sure enough, they eat those leaves or flowers and they die. Can we steep Geranium leaves and spray that around? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, you probably won’t get a concentration high enough to kill rapidly.

I have been hand tapping into a bowl of soapy water… I think i have around 500 in two days.

A deeper bowl like a 1 gallon with high sides and square is working well. I tap the leaf and sometimes they hit the side of the bowl then bam into the water.

To me it would take more time to spray each bug then to just tap them into the bowl.

Things ive noticed-

When they are making sexy time…they are totally easily to catch…

When its cooler in the morning or evening they are really sluggish and dumb.

Heat of the day they seem to be more aware… and i get the most fly aways.

They are not even touching my black raspberries… no interest.

Blackberries- I have noticed a few of them eating the berries. Rare but i have caught a few.

Peach Leaves- they arent eating mine just good perches to attract mates.

Red Raspberry leaves- they seem to favor eating these leaves the most.

Purple Raspberry-- no interest. Must be the black raspberry genetics?

Zinnia- magnet for them.

Theory- something must be in the black rasp leaves that they dont want.
At least here.

2 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes.