The very best flavored pears

Recently I received a message asking a familiar question which was what are the best flavored pears? Now for me that would be the ones I’ve tasted such as my little yellow unknown pear, Drippin’ Honey, Clapps Favorite to name a few. The ones that I’ve tried such as Comice are excellent and Harrow Sweet has a hint of complexed pear flavor in the meat. There are many delectable sweet pears such as Korean Giant with a slight hint of spice in the flesh. The 2 Asian pears Korean Giant and Drippin’ Honey I named are the ones out of that group of pears that can compete in the class of the excellent European pears available in my opinion. The group of reportedly excellent pears I’m growing or will grow soon are a long list such as Abate fetel, forell, Fondante de moulins Lille, Concord, Beurre Superfin, Docteur Deportes, Clara Frijs, Seckel, Worden, Warren, Magness, Dana Hovey, Citron de Carmes, Potomac to name a few. There are long shots I will try this year such as Enie Meney, Miney, Moe that may or may not be great pears but I will try based on the fact they look like my little yellow pear and advice from another pear enthusiast on here. Did I miss some great pears? Perhaps I did miss some great pears in this post. Perhaps this post will help answer the question for the new pear grower that sent me a message asking what the best pear varieties are. Ayers or winter nellis will undoubtedly be brought up but perhaps I should let you give advice on what you feel like are the best. Interestingly the Curator of the USDA would agree with me on several choices but yet his list was different and perhaps better https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/20721500/Postman/Curator’s%20Choice%20Pears%2002-2012.pdf

2 Likes

It’s interesting in this post you can see how similar certain pears are to my little unknown yellow pear Help me find a pear I'd like to grow - #41 by clarkinks. I hope to find my little yellow pears identity or perhaps it’s siblings or origin. On this website you can view Clara Frijs and again note certain similarities to my unknown yellow pear http://tallcloverfarm.com/12265/comtesse-clara-frijs-pear-best-pear-never-ate. These reportedly excellent pears have many similarities.

Hopefully there will be updates on several of these pear varieties I’m growing this year.