The year thus far

So that if I remember correctly I think your customers tend to be people with a little more money to spend…is the 5 feet of straight trunk because the trees tend to be specimen trees in a larger landscape and yard?

I think like me you’re in the Northeast.
Same dry spring followed by bouts of heavy rain.
The weather in this area drives me nuts. 11 years ago I was still farming full time and the Philly area went from the middle of March to the middle of April with no rain. The previous year it was mid June to mid July ish. Then in the summer of '13 it rained cats, puppies and kittens.

Last year it was dry June through sometime in September. This year, dry March to mid June. I think I have better odds of rolling dice to predict weather than to try and put some sort of logic to it because frankly I give up.

1 Like

It’s for installing squirrel baffles.

1 Like

@alan Why did you go with the style you are using? Interested why you did not just wrap a two foot strip around the trunk? I’m looking at installing some myself. Not so much for squirrels, but raccoon and possum.

Two feet is never enough for squirrels here- you can leave two feet of trunk and follow with 3’ of roofing coil and paint with a mix of oil and axle grease, but the stuff sometimes drips on hot days and can damage trunk tissue, even occasionally killing a plum tree.

I have peach trees that are very small, especially for having been planted and growing for 3 years but that spot has always been a challenge. Initially 10 years ago I had planted what I later came to find out was a problem area with Lorings…of course I never amended the soil with anything…i know I keep saying saying how acid my soil is…that spot in particular must be the worst of it because two years straight of lime plus multiple nitrogen applications have finally gotten growth out of the trees.
In the second pic you see how everything else around those small trees are doing. 3 1/2 feet of growth and still going!

2 Likes

It finally happened folks!
I got 6 feet of growth out of an established trees in its 4th leaf!
Also what are the red spots on the other trees?

1 Like

I’m leaning towards Nitrogen deficiency

Compare with this:

1 Like

Looks like a dead ringer!
Thanks Richard!

1 Like

So I pruned the trees in the pic ( Rich May) back in early July
Less than 2 months later they’ve logged two feet of growth.
In the summer.
Whew. They’re killing it.
In other news I’m slowly clearing pine trees off the property.
The property’s 46 acres. Only 6 are open, only 4 1/2 of those are plantable because the house, the barn and other such things take up space.
Only utilizing 4 1/2 acres out of 46 deeply annoys me.

2 Likes

Also yesterday I picked up a pallet of lime… technically two half pallets because I have a car and not a truck and I can can only put half a pallet of lime in my car at a time…
Now it’s all packed nice in the barn…

3 Likes

One more update.
I placed my order with Adams County Nursery a couple months ago.
I have on the much storied Glenglo and Earlystar peaches as well as PF Lucky 13.
I tried PF Lucky 13 for the first time this year and for the season immediately following Redhaven I happen to particularly like.

1 Like

@thebentonpeach

Beautiful piece of land for sure.

I had to laugh as when I first started reading your post I read “so I pruned the trees” and my eye caught sight of the first photo of the huge tree that was felled.

:joy:

2 Likes

I like making people laugh.
And thank you, the land there in Northeast PA is beautiful.

2 Likes

All it takes for to be happy is seeing land that actually rises and falls. It’s so absolutely flat here that when I go anywhere that isn’t, I can drive forever and be happy just watching the roll of the land.

The only elevation we have here is called an overpass.

I’ve been in Delaware. Delaware’s like that.
I’ve heard plenty of stories of Ohio being like that.
The area near Northeast Philly where I’m from is mostly like that (including all of Levittown PA) because it’s coastal plain.
When I was a kid I guess the schools skipped the lesson where the eastern coastal plain includes everything downriver of the Trenton-Morrisville fall line (except for where my house is-it’s the one hill of gneiss in my township and marks where the Piedmont starts).

1 Like

Yo guys,
NJAES just released a new white peach, September Rose.
It’s supposed to be sub acid ehich’ll probably put a damper in taste (at least for some).
Is anyone planning on planting it?

2 Likes

I know I keep posting about how much my trees have grown this year so please bear with with me…this has been a 10 year odyssey of battling first deer damage and then low pH.
The trees are still healthy!
The goldenrod and random weed flowers say hello!
And I can finally say I’m making progress on cutting up a large, dead hickory tree!

2 Likes

Photo dump

1 Like