Tomato problems

My SunGolds are doing very well, as are my French beefsteaks, Marmande Ancienne; Its my ‘Green Zebra’ (love the tomato) that seems to be a very stingy bearer. My other plants have lots of tomatoes and many more flowers. Green Zebra is not performing. Is it an underacheiver?

Two sources says that it is a semi-determinate which only gets 3 to 5 feet tall but continues to produce fruit. One thing I notice is that makes suckers easy to spot is their ramrod straight stem. I wait until they get about 5 or so inches long before I snip and usually stick deep in very wet soil so they sprout and I get another plant. Did this last year in June and got a full Brandywine plant that gave me a whole pound ripe tomato. Using its seeds this season.

2 Likes

Steve
Thanks for correction.
Celebrity keeps on producing, like an indeterminate but it doesn’t keep growing like an indeterminate.
I planted a few this year I’m looking forward to what appears to be a good compromise limited height and keeps producing!

I don’t know about green zebras…had to look that type up!

I watched a youtube vid the other day… and the touber was telling folks what to do if their tomato truly forks (like yours)… and you want it to be single stem.

He said to wait and see which fork sets blooms first and remove the other.

His theory was the dominant stem would bloom first.

Of course that would only be a concern if you truly wanted to single stem, knew you had a variety, or conditions in your garden where single stem is known to be best for you.

And that would not apply to determinant tomato varieties, and I think also most cherry tomatoes.
On determinant tomato varieties it is Ok to remove suckers until you get to the first bloom, but no more.
It can help to get more airflow at the bottom of the plant, get those lower leaves and branches off the dirt or mulch… so you might consider removing those very low limbs, leaves, suckers, before the first bloom set.

TNHunter

1 Like

Interesting…the dominant blooms first.
I will follow your suggestion and remove all suckers below first set of flowers.
If anything besides main stem is tight and compact with lots of flowers I’ll let it go
Thanks!

1 Like