Too cold to grow mangoes? Try this

It’s also a top fruit in my greenhouse in west Texas. In fact at one point I rated it number one. Right now my trees are too variable to be sure. But in another yr or two as my new planting gets established I’ll have a better comparison. The following writeup summarizes results from my first greenhouse trees planted in 2005.

http://www.davewilson.com/home-gardens/growing-fruits-and-nuts/cultural-practices/greenhouse-fruit-growing/greenhouse-fruit-production-in-west-texas

Yeah, to the breeders.

Thanks for the link fruitnut. Great article. I plan on reaching out to you in a few months when I get a little more free time. I am planning on starting to grow some fruit inside a greenhouse as well and would like to ask a few questions. A little different set up than yours but I am sure there will be similarities.

Dallas is a lot hotter than here in summer. But also more humid. That makes greenhouse design critical. And you won’t be able to keep it as cool as here on summer days. Still I think you could grow most or all the fruits I grow.

Temp is no problem. My greenhouse is actually cooled by an hvac. I’ll tell you all about my setup and my project. Gonna be pretty tied up through mid October but I will reach out with more details then. I look forward to hearing your expert advice!

Yes, no problem there.

Yes, that is good info for sure. Once Alan and i compared average temps in our areas and they were very similar. Rainfall varies, but temps are very close. So worth trying here too.

Yeah I tested some other fruit and was only getting 12 brix on PF Lucky 13 peach and the Spice Zee nectaplum. Taste was not very good either. The low brix did make them rather bland, just OK. Although I may have picked them early. So far Arctic Glo just blows them all away. Besides the cultivar being great, it ripens early August here, which is the driest time. Rains are picking up here and both the Nectaplum and Lucky 13 were picked soon after heavy rains. nothing I can do about that. Anyway for here, and growing outside early August ripening time will produce good sweet fruit.

Not many of the honey series is available to home growers, and recently I thought of one that is overlooked. Honey Babe miniature peach, this might be a real winner in more ways than one. Nice size (5 feet), ornamental, and it must be super sweet.
I think I might grow this one in a container!

Drew:

Honey Babe is unlikely to be on a par with the better Honey series varieties. All the Honey series aren’t the similar. You already know about Honey Glo, very high acid. They have another high acid variety Honey Haven. I don’t know why they mix things up like that maybe there just aren’t enough other good names

Arctic Glo you mean! Thanks for info on HH. Arctic Jay, the patent probably is expired now. One I want as scion. I still may grow Honey babe, just that it would be easy to grow in a container, and i have room for container trees.
On Arctic Jay, patent is still good for a couple years. I can wait…

Anyone in the food business knows the word honey is as golden as the substance.

1 Like

Agave, so hot right now

1 Like

Ah, but agave is fad. Honey has a long history of being held in well deserved high consideration. :honeybee: :honey_pot:

While i was researching the Honey series, a search landed on how to make peach or nectarine honey. I didn’t look, but sounded interesting.