Too many fruit trees, too little space

Hi groggyfrog. What is the size of your property? We also don’t have a big property about 13068 square feet. But I didn’t get that in the way. I still ended up planting around 60-70 fruits trees. I gave away a lot of landscaping trees and planted fruit trees 4-5 feet apart, i also grafted so so many varieties. Looking forward to also removing our grass once my wife let’s me lol.

3 Likes

i forgot . i also have a 4ft tall apple serviceberry that’s about 5ft. tall. supposed to be a fairly large tree.

2 Likes

Honeyberry USA has the Canadian ones. one of them is as small as regent but with supposedly better tasting berries.

2 Likes

@John_P

Our lot is much smaller, we have around 4700 sq feet with 2500 sq feet being the backyard. Thankfully, our house occupies less than half of the land.

I love that you have so many trees! I was worried I was planting trees too close (5ft) but feel better now.

3 Likes

I actually have a few trees that are 2-3 feet apart. I noticed slow growth which is the plan because i just want to keep them small so I can easily manage them. I’m sure you’re familiar with backyard orchard culture from Dave Wilson. Good luck with your home orchard and don’t forget to graft!

4 Likes

I’ve snacked on many cultivar’s, what I noticed is all were unremarkable until they turned from reddish purple to black. They would change in a day, ho-hum to delicious. The birds knew it also, I could see lots of purple ones untouched ready to go black, next day gone…

3 Likes

@John_P , love the bio. I would do the same thing if my wife didn’t slow me down. Made me smile.

1 Like

They definitely would have put a house in my backyard if it weren’t for the lil creek. I feel so blessed to have the double back yard w a green belt. In the seattle area. My blueberries are glad too.

4 Likes

Looks like a nice spot for some Pawpaw trees.

7 Likes

Got a mango and Shenandoah for Christmas. They are just out of camera shot on the other side of the bank. I had the same thought.

Also got some Rebecca’s gold seedlings from a Craigslist seller in woodinville Washington that fruit like crazy. Her trees were planted in 2001.

5 Likes

@Noddykitty

Did I read that right :slightly_smiling_face: Are you growing a mango? What kind?

I wish that mango. The pawpaw cultivar “mango”. I got it from Restoring Eden along w the Shenandoah

:point_up_2:I know it’s weird to leave it in the pot. I like to slide back the root ball and hack saw off the bottom plane of the pot. Mainly to make a “border wall” that slows thee slugs down a few minutes. Then I fry them like bacon w ammonia.

3 Likes

I’ve got an ataulfo seedling in my (somewhat heated) greenhouse that’s about two years old and seems happy enough despite the cool, dark winters. So don’t give up on mangoes, you just need to create some greenhouse space. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I just got this in the fall. A buddy moved out of state and gave it to me. I got the footings poured around an old slab dog run. I want to put it on a 4’ foundation wall. Big plans for this summer.

4 Likes

I’ve not met a serviceberry I didn’t like! But the hybrid apple serviceberries are favorite.

A. alnifolia gets mildew here. Cedar rust is often a problem, but some resist it better than others.

4 Likes