Top grafting Gala and Grann Smiths

I’m grafting over the tops of two trees and wondering if anyone here thinks Rubinette, Pomme Gris, Jona gold, Jonathan, wealthy, Canadian Strawberry or Adams Pearmain would be good ones to do onto them. I already have these as limbs on other trees I’ve grafted, but no apples yet to try. Opinions would be appreciated.

Since you already have those apples on other trees why not branch out a bit and try some others as well?

I like Haralson, Liberty, Karmijn de Sonneville, Macoun, MacIntosh, and Winesap just for starters. I’ve added, but not fruited, Gold Rush and Calville Blanc, among others.

Since you’re on Cape Cod, some of the trees that are great for Mark in Montana will not grow well for you. I think @scottfsmith’s reports like this one might do you some good. He’s in Maryland. Also, @mamuang, @bobvance, @mrsg47 and @alan are in the northeast and have experience with apple trees. Alan makes a living managing small orchards.

If you need scionwood from a particular cultivar and no one here is able to send you, Fedco sells some.

1 Like

I have other grafted limbs of other varieties. These interest me enough that I might want more than just a limb, but maybe a half of a trees worth. Gala and Granny Smiths are great apples, but I don’t need a whole tree of them.

1 Like

Too many unknowns to speculate. Johnthecook would imply you love cooking, so why are you getting rid of the pie apple (granny smith)>?

1 Like

I’m just looking for taste opinions. I know everybody’s environment is different. GS is great, but don’t need a whole tree and I like grafting.

1 Like

John,
I grafted all those varieties but only Rubinette set fruit this year. It was the first year so I can’t say much. I think @scottfsmith likes Rubinette but said its quality may vary from year to year.

I hope Pomme Gris and others will set fruit for me this year.

Not interested in Hooples? I like that one.

2 Likes

Also, @mrsg47 has high praises on Onagold. I ate them from the Cornell store. I like the taste, a good balance of sweet and sour with enough crunch. I just grafted it this past spring (thanks to Mrs. G).

2 Likes

Enthusiastic votes here for Rubinette and GoldRush. Also consider Spigold, Ashmead’s Kernel, Wickson, Hudson’s Golden Gem, Sweet Sixteen, Williams’ Pride.

Fedco would indeed be a good source of both scions and recommendations relevant to your climate.

2 Likes

I think I got some of those from you. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve ordered from fedco before. Glad to hear Rubinette is good. I have Goldrush, and some of the others.