Train Pomegranate Trees

For the folks who grow pomegranate in container, can you show some photos of your trees?

I grow several pomegranate trees in pots. Still small now. Have not pruned anything. Wonder if I should start to remove any weak shoots etc.

They will likely stay in containers. It is too cold to risk them now. I do not know if some of them are hardy in zone 6.

Also always looking to acquire more pomegranate, particularly the hardy ones. I get a lot of fig materials to trade with.

1 Like

I have a couple in pots. I haven’t done anything to really train them. They’ve naturally become bushy. I usually just prune out a few weak branches. I’m definitely no expert though! I have Rannii and Sumbar.

1 Like

I don’t have any in pots, but I have several in the ground. They naturally grow as bushes, but you can prune them to a single stem if you want. I prefer to prune them as multi-trunked bushes, so I’ll pick up to 6 or so trunks and then remove any new shoots coming from the ground when I prune them in winter. If you want them to fruit, do some pruning each year but not too much. They set fruit on second-year growth.

1 Like
1 Like

When I look up the photos of pomegranate orchards, it seems most of them grow to multi trunk small trees. Or like crape myrtles. Or like bundle of cut flowers.

So basically we need to grow few strong trunks. So they trunks can support any weight of fruits. I’ll probably start to remove some small limbs.

I have grown them from seeds. It will take patient and energy to train them into a tree. If it’s a bush that you want, then prune away. For a tree, you want minimum pruning. Stake them or string them. Get it to the size and form that you wanted, then you can start pruning them away. My took 5 years before I start to serious prune them in winter. It was started in the pot and to the ground.

1 Like