Transplanting an Older Citrus

I have Owari and it is relatively seedless, although I get some that will have a seed or two in them.

Brad, satsumas are relatively seedless, but GN tends to be even more seedless. If that is a term.

[quote=“hoosierquilt, post:42, topic:1631, full:true”]GN tends to be even more seedless. If that is a term.
[/quote]

Yea, it’s odd to say “relatively” seedless. Kind of like “a little pregnant”, lol. Someone mentioned owari as a possible ID before Vin said that it was seedy, so I was just mentioning that Owari was mostly seedless. I didn’t realize all Satsumas were that way though, thanks for the extra info.

Yup. I ruled out both GN and Satsuma after Vin said they were very seedy. Which makes me think it may be either Clemnules or W. Murcott Afourer :slight_smile: And, it is odd to say “relatively” seedless, but citrus that are labeled citrus can have some seeds. The term “seedless” allows for an occasional seed. In the category of “seedless” citrus, there is a range of “seedless”, with something like Seedless Kishu, which is truly seedless, to some of the satsumas which will have a few seeds now and then :slight_smile: GN is closer to the completely seedless range. At least, for me in my yard, and in other yards/orchards here in S. California.

Patty S.

1 Like

Seeds aren’t a deal breaker for me but it’s certainly nice to have ones that are seedless. I’ll definitely be looking to add Seedless Kishu and Gold Nugget at some point.

I’ve been munching on the mandarins in the garden everyday. Too many seeds to eat at home. I just dump the peel and spit out the seeds in the compost pile nearby!

6 Likes

That is one VERY happy mandarin tree. Just beautiful. Yum!! :tangerine:

1 Like