Tree Bark Issues... Any ideas?

Yeah. That’s what caught my eye initially. I ended up cutting down about 7-8" from the issue just to be extra cautious.

1 Like

Yeah this would make sense if it affects both apples and stonefruit, Glad you removed it and hopefully with some effective treatment it will not come back

1 Like

Well, I also gave the tree a stern talking to! It seemed to be listening, so hopefully all good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think they are listening

1 Like

This is exactly what i posted about happening in my bartlett pear and ginger gold apple - the bottom photo. I assumed it was from birds. I hit some of the damaged spots with tree stump sealer after pulling off the bark. Now i’m not sure if I should remove the whole limbs?

1 Like

I painted over the trunk of all the apples and pear tree with latex primer. I cut out the two infected trees that I believe were the source. I hate Red Delicious, and dislike Fuji, so it wasn’t a loss. The person who planted them buried the graft, so I am wondering if that was a major factor. The other trees were healthy, with only a couple of small spots, so I sealed them in with primer. I am hoping it will help prevent any future infections. I am planning to follow up with a dormant spray as well.

I won’t comment on whether you should lop off a whole limb. The ones on my trees appear to have healed. I don’t know if the infection is still there, but time will tell. I will keep things clean and primed until then.

2 Likes

My husband was pruning our pear trees today and noticed some problems with the bark on one of our pear trees. Blakes Pride on OHxF33, planted in 2018. I think it might be freeze damage… not sure… help!

could be, sun damage, combined with the freezing and thawing causing the bark to fracture?