Tree Girdled from tag Strings

A decent solution…

Not tied just coiled on… the coil can unwind as the tree grows.

That is just a piece of somewhat soft copper wire.

5 Likes

but does it… with peaches. I’m not sure the energy of push with growth. Trees don’t seem to push rocks away, they just kind of grow around them.

I’m guessing though, that your wire works, but I want to make sure you’ve tested it on peaches. A small screw through that hole into wood will also not cause any harm, but you pretty much have to loosen it annually.

I haven’t completely screwed up yet, but I’ve had enough arrive with girdling tags that I usually put my tags on the stake if there is one or I need to add one. I like the knobby bamboo as it gets pulled or blown off almost never. (The wind here will still shred the plastc ones.)

On the other hand, because of the wind and the tendency of some critters to nick anything shiny, I also tend to put my tags close to the ground where winter mulch is on top of them. I have a %^$&$&^ coming at somepoint where I forgot one was on the tree.

@TNHunter, you’ve got to explain how you made such perfect bends in that copper wire. They are not only functional, they are downright artistic!

1 Like

@Audi_o_phile … sorry but did that a couple of years ago and do not recall exactly how i did that. You could initally coil around anything round (hoe handle) then loosen to apply it to your target branch.

@alan … doubt seriously i will be growing peaches again… mine got the axe and stump grinder after losing battle with ofm and br.

Replaced them with raspberries, persimmons, pears. I will try some copper wire coils for attaching tags to plums, pears, apples, persimmons, che, mulberry, goumi and see how they do.

1 Like

I love reading that a few of the truly treasured members here are as advanced in age and as active as you 3 are.

My own parents both passed at 64. I am not quite there yet, and won’t qualify for full retirement from work until I am 64 as well.

I used thin wire, both naked (wire) and that green twist-tie kind of stuff at one point to attach tags. These are too difficult to see (notice) after a time so I’ve stopped using either. The green tie stuff blends in too well with foliage.

I will say that with the exception of an occasional knee thing that comes and goes I am in pretty good shape. I fear my wife isn’t in quite as good shape.

Scott

1 Like