Tree propagation “balls”

This little device came across my Instagram feed as an advertisement and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or have tried this before?

They have a deal going now where you buy 5 and get 3 free which works out to about $1.87 each for 8 of the 2 inch diameter ball, and up to about $4.37 each for 8 of the 4.7” ball. (There’s also a 3.1” diameter ball).

Does anyone think this is an improvement over plastic wrap? If so, what size do you think is the best? Also, do you think they would work successfully now or is this an early spring thing?

Thanks!
Bart

2 Likes

Empty water bottles are …
Free.!
Need repurposed.
That’s what I use

6 Likes

They look nice except I would be concerned that the black color would make them too hot if in the sun. Aluminum foil could be put around them it that was a problem.

2 Likes

91 5-star reviews out of 91 reviews? Unlikely.

1 Like

It is not worth paying for something so simple.
When I started to do my firsts air layerings , it was very complicated for me, until I saw this video of a man from the island of La Palma.
It is not necessary to know Spanish, seeing it you understand the process perfectly.

Video :

When introducing the wet substrate in the bag, and giving it several turns with the excess plastic, a cut is made with the knife and it is tremendously easy to place on the branch where the air layering is going to be practiced, it is covered with adhesive plastic tape ( Tesafilm), then is covered with aluminum foil and ready.
Everyone has these materials at home.

Regards
Jose

5 Likes

I like them well enough. The large ones are gigantic, I would stick to small and medium.

I found them cheap enough for the convenience they provide. I have wasted more watching movies I hated.

3 Likes

@Bart, I have had similar ads pop up on my Facebook feed. I bet Aliexpress has them even cheaper than whatever price they are asking on Facebook. I haven’t personally purchased these, but @Hillbillyhort’s idea on water bottles seems to be pretty great. You could cut the bottles to whatever length you want, if you use 2 tops you would be able to slide them onto a pretty good size branch, AND you are up-cycling. Free+good for the environment is the route I’ll take to start unless we have any glowing reviews about this product being superior in some way.

3 Likes

Hummm…
Well they are nice the way they open / close .
And hey 1/2 price ! And buy some get some free.
Who could resist that.
But…
It’s just more cheep plastic crap !
I bet you could find something that would work very close by.
Like in a trash can , at 100% off , as many as you desire.
And for each free one , you get several more for free !
Yogurt , Deli containers , could be used like those.,cutting a slit in each side .?
I use lots of things ,…
Water bottles , Ketchup bottles , milk jugs , flower pots ,
If a person saved all the containers you use in a year for air layers,
You will quickly run out of room to plant , may have enough to start a business ?

1 Like

Should add …
I don’t buy bottled water, the bottles in the pic. Are from when I worked construction jobs, I told the guys to throw the bottles in my truck , still have several bags full.
Usually when removing layers it’s Necessary to cut one side of the bottle to get the rootball out.
So these can be reused again , putting two on a leafed out branch ,cut sides facing opposing , making one container ,no tape needed.

2 Likes

Hi Hillbillyhort.
I like the bottle system, I only see one problem.
In hot climates like mine, the moisture in the substrate would last for a day due to dehydration by the open part.

Regards
Jose

If an end of both bottles was placed to maintain moisture retention, you could alleviate that issue. You could possibly even use tape or plastic wrap to seal each end.

@Jose-Albacete
It gets pretty hot here .90s F lately.
I usually don’t even water these and they root good.
Likely better if I watered, I still get good results.
Been doing this for years