Tree Tubes = Awesome

Are you going to use tree tubes on evergreens?

No these will be for hardwoods. I will have to stick to cages for the evergreens.

1 Like

I hadn’t considered using rebar. That’s a good idea.

I’m not sure about the trunk stiffening thing either. It seems like most trees are out of the tube in a year or two and get the wind sway effect then. I’ve used both metal and pvc and can’t say that I’ve seen much of a difference between the two.

I purchased and am using the 5’ Protex for my new Chestnut trees also from Forestry Suppliers. Decent price and shipped fast…

2 Likes

If I don’t have too many to do at once, I hole punch them on the side where they join, and then zip tie that together (instead of using their tabs) and then have a stake on each side of the tube.

I just looked those up and that is a good price. Have you already gotten your order? If you have, how’s the quality? How long do you think they will last, a couple seasons, 3-4 seasons, or more?

I have @ 250 plantra tubes set on my property for dwarf tart cherry, apple, chestnut, and oak. 5’ and 6’ tubes with 100 % survival and awesome growth. All trees planted as seedlings and are out of the tube at 2nd leaf. You have to maintain by keeping weeds and pruning maintenance up and removing litter from tubes. Done right they are extremely effective but definitely not maintenance free.

2 Likes

Good quality. I would like to think will last at least 2-3 seasons, but this is 1st time using these as am establishing my farm. Was happy with what I received.

1 Like