Trees that smell nice

I’ll have to go smell my kaki persimmons. I’ve got quite a lot of those. Do they smell more when the leaves are young or mature. I heard of people making the leaves into tea and enjoying the taste. Perhaps it’s an acquired taste if they stimulate our olfactory senses in the wrong way? I clipped some of the tops off wherever the young buds weren’t showing flowers to reduce the height on some particularly vigorous trees. Maybe I’ll feel adventurous and brew some of the leaves up.

The worst smelling trees in my yard are the pears. They are quite repugnant while in bloom.

1 Like

Sort of an obvious one, but our Umbellularia californica (California bay laurel) has an intense and mesmerizing scent, especially when you mow the lawn nearby where leaves have fallen. The scent apparently gives some people a headache, but no one in our family luckily!

I roasted the nuts last fall and they were tasty in cookies but a little too strong of a flavor for eating out of hand for my tastes.

2 Likes

My kaki stink. I thought it was sour wood chips or something, but I decided last summer that its the kaki.

4 Likes

There’s a thought. Some apple cultivars do smell nice in bloom. Is there a chart or list of the best ones? Any rankings by anyone for smell on apple trees?

1 Like

I can’t smell them yet, but in the summer, kaki leaves start to smell like something rotting. I haven’t paid close attention to particular cultivars or if hybrids are the same or not. It’s the kaki leaves, not the blossoms ,that smell. I agree that pear blossoms don’t smell very good either.

2 Likes

Pines and firs.

2 Likes

My seedlings that are blooming are more fragrant than the Goldrush and Golden Delicious that are blooming nearby.

3 Likes

Some 30 years ago I rented bees to pollinate an apple orchard…so I know some are more fragrant than others. (I am curious if there is any study or chart on the topic.)

I came across the website of “Gabriel Hemery, British author, tree photographer, and forest scientist.
https://gabrielhemery.com/fragrant-and-odiferous-trees/
He wrote a short article on " Fragrant and odiferous trees" some might find interesting.

Under the pretty photo is this caption - “Elder flowers are sweet and perfumed when young, but smell of cat’s pee when older.”
I have never thought the Elder flowers smelled like cat pee! too funny. Perhaps the British elder trees are unique that way. I will say that Eastern Red Cedars with berries on them (they are an invasive nuisance tree here) smell like cat pee! Especially when you cut one for your Christmas tree and bring it inside the house where the smell is more contained…

2 Likes

My mature apple trees are multigrafted, and plums and apples interplanted. So I was probably smelling 10 or more varieties at once.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can confirm that it is several cultivars of kaki, maybe all. I’ve never tried the tea.

Maybe its like cheese. Tastes better than it smells?

3 Likes

Citrus blooms have unmistakable jasmine smell. I just started growing a few varieties of jasmine (not all in the same family) - Madison star, pink, Arabian and recently rooted some night blooming ones as well. I am not sure if Arabian is cold-hardy for z9B, but others should grow well here. @Drew51 is right - when I went to my friend’s place to get cuttings of night blooming jasmine, I could smell it inside the car while parking on the street from the plant in his backyard.

I am going to transfer Michelia Alba from the pot to in-ground soon. Hopefully it survives and I plan to graft the champaca on it next season. I really like the fragrance of both varieties.

4 Likes

I just picked up a Zanthoxylum clava-herculis and you may not find a better smelling more natural tasting tree.

I hope it does well on my property

7 Likes

In my area, Russian olive.

An invasive species brought to the United States for erosion control. Very tough. Drought resistant. Sharp spines,

A real testament as to how an attractive tree with a sweet smell while flowering could still be a real pest.

2 Likes

Jonagold smells like a rose this year, and way stronger than Gala.

Daphne x medfordensis, the most fragrant plant we have so far.

Second place goes to golden privet.

Third place goes to the peonies.

I planted a jasmine this year, so I don’t know how fragrant it is yet.

6 Likes

i agree. Night jessamines are the ultimate sweet-smelling blooms, which permeates and pierces throughout the night. One of my many favorite tropicals. The flowers emit the haunting perfume for several days. The petals start slender, then get broader with time. The broader the petals, the milder the scent profile.

Cestrum nocturnum is the species–aptly named!

4 Likes

For me it’s the european lindens that are just absolutely enchanting. Just straight mesmerizing I walk my dogs and just follow the scent blindly. A close second for me are the old lilacs and I think how lucky I am for all these old ladies planting them everywhere for me. Some of the chokecherries growing near the creeks smell real nice right now also.

Lindens feed all the bees and pollinators also and if you do not live in a area with sourwood trees the best thing you can do for the bees in your area is to plant a linden or a sourwood in a area you don’t use herbicides or pesticides.

Speaking of bad smelling trees I was forced to walk right by 4 of these callery pear trees today and remarked at how bad they smelled and this lady getting in her car said how much she enjoyed them and wasn’t sure it was a bad smell :rofl:

2 Likes

i sometimes think people have scent-‘blindness’, just as people can have color-blindness. That lady probably only has olfactory receptors for the perfumey substance of calleries, and has none for the stinky substance. If remember it right, some people can’t smell asparagus pee… either that or their kidneys don;t produce it, haha

taste-blindness is another possibility. Some people think some fruits are excellent, which to me aren’t really special(and vice-versa…) Maybe ‘blindness’ is the wrong term. “Individuality” is perhaps more accurate.

4 Likes

I definitely feel many people have scent blindness. If it was a guy who had said that to me i would have had a hilarious response :smiley: It might be nice to not smell the awful things so strongly but then what does cheese taste like? I also think you can train your sense of smell and some people do things that block it.

I very much love my good sense of smell and hope to keep it intact

3 Likes

scenting ability is supposedly an indirect gauge of brain function/lifespan

generally speaking, women supposedly have stronger scenting abilities than men-- possibly one clue as to why they live longer than we do!

2 Likes