Trees with Edible Leaves

makes me think might be due to scarcity of and/or unreliable production of pluerry trees which compromise marketability

I am not sure why they stopped selling them. They used to have a lot of plum hybrids at King Soopers. They had an entire self of plums and plum hybrids you could pick from. I looked on their website and it does not even mention pluerry anymore. Our local Costco used to have Bing cherries and now just sell cherries from CA. 2 or 3 years ago I remember my Costco carried bare root cherries like Bing and Rainier, honey crisp, Granny Smith, Pink Lady apples, they had different kinds of pears and more. Last year I checked it out and they just had the same apples for our zone. The nectarines, peaches and almonds were not rated for our zone and they had Fuyu persimmons instead of things like an American persimmon (though they did not sell persimmon before anyway). Sometimes I question choices of these big corporations.

corporate decisions are definitely about the bottom line. Also, it is difficult to predict human behavior/taste preference trends etc.
but going back to topic, i am confident moringa’s popularity will continue to peak, even if slowly, and that it stands a chance of being as mainstreamed as other vegies.

back in the 80’s tilapia and swai fish were practically unheard of here in USA. While there continues to be some local pushback against so-called St. Peter’s fish and Basa catfish(respectively), including hostile allegations of being unhealthy eating, the fact that walmart sells both in huge “family packs” indicate both having already achieved staple status.

1 Like

Moringa was discussed here for a while. but has not really established itself as a “superfood”

not unlike other plants.
But the time changes so maybe it will again.

if it would be hardy I would plant it as an easy source of nutrients

There is a lot of fruit designated a super food but not sold in stores. Mulberry is designated a super food and not sold in stores either. I read in the article above the alba has edible leaves but wonder if all varieties are edible. I know just the alba is used for silk worm is why I ask.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the edibility of Morus alba leaves.
I read it somewhere but didn’t follow it up.
the article is worrying, but to be fair the article doesn’t give very much information about the cause of death, there could be other medications involved…
i suppose the demand must be very high, that stores struggling to find a reliable supplier that meets all the standards to have a new perishable item on the shelf. here it is very rare that a different cultivar from the same fruit ends up on the shelf.
somehow these mainstream superfoods which are often sold as a universal medical/supplement/food have become prevalent online, here.

I did some research on the topic of edible tree leaves and it was interesting that you can theoretically eat a different large number of leaves if you have to survive

1 Like

Does anyone grow this variety or know another source? I’d be interested in trying it.

1 Like

The publication that started this thread mentions some cultivars (“Pendula”, “Edible Leaf”, and “Tigrinum”):

That document also says this:

While there have been news stories about
deaths from overconsumption of mulberry leaf, these are inaccurate. According to the CBS story “Experts Question the Role of White Mulberry in Death of Congressman’s Wife,” mulberry is actually among the safest of all leaves humans ingest.

3 Likes

I guess I should read the thing I posted better! I wll check into those varieties, thanks!