Tropical Fruits in Southern California (Sapodillas, Sugar Apples or custard apples, StarFruit, Mangoes, Lychees and more)

One thing to keep in mind with starfruit is it’s pretty high in oxalates, should be avoided by anyone with a risk of kidney problems, and there’s also a less serious neurotoxin that can cause problems for some people who ingest large quantities, especially on an empty stomach:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0041010120303925

3 Likes

So is spinach, almonds and a litany of other foods. I think the risk is overblown, however the only thing that is really of no risk to anyone is meats (barring some random weird allergy to some specific meat)

3 Likes

Definitely! But for people already suffering from kidney issues, it’s good to be aware because they are very high compared to other things with oxalates.

2 Likes

The oxalic concentration is higher on the edges of the ridges. I usually cut the ends of the ridges before juicing.

1 Like

I was taking a friend to dialysis and there was sign by the front reception area,warning them to not eat Starfruit.

1 Like

Quick update on Mangoes in Southern California. I posted the following on another thread but thought to cross post the quote here given this thread is about tropical fruits in SoCal :slight_smile:

Note that this is advice from local members who have apparently grown a lot of mangoes. It is NOT stuff I’ve tested.

Do you know which sapadillo are chikoo?

2 Likes

Isn’t chicoo/chikoo/chickoo (seems to be spelled all 3 ways) just another common name for M. zapota aka sapodilla? I didn’t think it referred to any particular variety.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. A friend has me looking for it. I think some varieties are from South America and some are from India, so I’m guessing chikoo is Indian variety only, but not sure.

1 Like

Yes that’s right.

There does seem to be some confusion amongst folks online and also in person where people think sapote and sapodilla are the same thing. Maybe that’s the confusion here? If you look at pictures of Mamey Sapote and Chikoo, and don’t know the relative sizes/etc you could get confused.

I suspect that’s part of the confusion? IDK.

2 Likes

Where are you located? Or where is the friend who wants to grow this located? That might help folks give better advice.

Also welcome to the thread :slight_smile: and thanks for posting.

1 Like

Sapodilla is indeed a sapote, in the sense that it’s in the family Sapotaceae (same as mamey sapote, green sapote, canistel, and others). By contrast, “black sapote” is not a true sapote, it’s a persimmon.

The confusion comes from the fact that “sapote” just means any soft/mushy fruit, so it’s not a real botanical category unless you are referring to Sapotaceae as “the sapote family.”

3 Likes

Right 100%. Sorry I meant folks confuse the specific chikoo with the general sapote varieties out there and then get confused. Reading my response above again, I realize I wasn’t clear at all.

You said it much more clearly :slight_smile: thank you!

1 Like

And I didn’t even know the 2nd part of your post that any soft fleshy fruit is called that! That’s super interesting and is definitely contributing to the confusion. TIL. Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t know much about them. I only just had the pleasure of having a canistel a few weeks ago and was blown away. I didn’t know black sapote is a persimmon. I’ll have to go read more on it. I wonder if it’s related to Mexican Black Persimmon.

Edit:related, but not closely.

1 Like

Here’s some more reading on it:

The gist is this is from the Nahuatl (Aztec) word “tzapotl” which meant any soft fruit, so it was already part of the name of many of the things we call “sapotes” today, since many of those were known to the Aztecs.

2 Likes

Funnily enough, white sapote also isn’t Sapotaceae. Sometimes things aren’t just black and white, pun intended.

5 Likes

Haha good one

Good one!!! :slight_smile:

@Gkight I managed to get a nice air-layered Ice Cream Bean plant. Are you growing yours in a pot and does it produce? Any tips on growing it in a pot? I’m debating trying to find a spot in the garden va keeping it in a 15gal pot (I just transplanted it into a 15gal pot from the 1 gal it came in). Thanks!