Tropical Fruits in Southern California (Sapodillas, Sugar Apples or custard apples, StarFruit, Mangoes, Lychees and more)

Here is a link to where I read about it.

2 Likes

Thank you! Good to know which ones did well and did not.

No extensive plans for this Annona, couple of months ago I started a few seeds from a fruit we ate. Kept one and it’s still in a cup. I might move it to a larger pot sometime in spring.

3 Likes

Made it out to Mimosa Nursery today, right before closing.

Bought 2 trees - a Hasya Sapodilla and a Sri Kembagan Starfruit. The sapodilla is about 3-4 ft tall and has a bunch of tiny fruit on it but I’m considering removing them this year to let it keep focusing on getting bigger and getting it into the ground over the next few weeks.

The Starfruit is about 8-9 ft tall and very leggy and also had 7 fruit ripening on it. 4 of those fell off over the drive from the nursery :frowning: but we will enjoy them tonight :). I’m debating putting this into the ground vs uppotting. I think I want to make this more bushy instead of super leggy as it is today.

I’m excited about both of these!

Will post pics soon and look for advice on pruning and care from more experienced folks here.

4 Likes

In my experience, starfruit tree drops all leaves when transplanted before putting out new ones. I have one in ground in my home (San Jose). I’ve seen this behavior on two other occasions I’ve transplanted at other locations.

2 Likes

That is VERY good to know. I wonder if it is related to the soil temp or if it’s just a natural response to get rid of the leaves under stressful conditions to “save the mother tree” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does your in-the-ground Starfruit drop its leaves during the winter? Trying to figure out if it will be a good thing to plant in a place behind which our cement fence with the next door neighbors is quite low. I am trying to think hard about sunlight, etc but also want to plant mostly evergreen fruit trees there to create a privacy barrier.

1 Like

Not sure this helps but my potted one drops most of its leaves in the winter. I know it seems to be a common thing with ones in the ground but I suppose that can be location dependent.

2 Likes

That helps! Thanks!

1 Like

It does drop some. They tend to turn yellow more and remain on the tree before they are ultimately replaced with new leaves in spring. The variety i have is Kari. It produces two crops, the winter crop is significantly more. I’ve attached a picture of how the tree looks at the moment and when when it has fruits. It is in a location along the fence between the homes. I don’t provide any winter protection.

5 Likes

This is super helpful thanks!

1 Like

The only Starfruit I’ve had,from a store,were not very impressive.Do the home grown ones have more flavor?

2 Likes

When they are green and sour, they are better mixed with salt and chili. Once ripe and yellow they become very sweet and have better flavor; good to be eaten fresh or juiced. They are far better than store bought fruit.

3 Likes

I can’t say from much experience but I can say that the 4 that dropped from our one day old purchase from the nursery were excellent. One was slightly under ripe and had a nice tartness and the 3 that were ripe had excellent flavor and texture.

However, I DID grow up eating quite a bit of Starfruit and my aunt’s mother who lived near by, and who my grandparents were close to, had an excellent orchard behind her house that included Starfruit, sapodilla, mango and a lot of other things. So I also ate directly from that orchard a bunch of times.

I guess, tldr, it probably depends on what you expect but I would not at all be surprised if home grown was better.

Starfruit IMO ripens quickly and goes bad quickly. So unless it’s like a “u-pick” kind of thing, or a farmers market maybe, I would not expect store bought to be good.

3 Likes

In my experience the summer ripened ones tasted very excellent, however the winter ripened ones tasted bland similar to grocery store starfruit. Also it’s first year producing so I’m sure there are other factors, however I’m sure heat plays a significant role on sweetness

3 Likes

One thing to keep in mind with starfruit is it’s pretty high in oxalates, should be avoided by anyone with a risk of kidney problems, and there’s also a less serious neurotoxin that can cause problems for some people who ingest large quantities, especially on an empty stomach:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0041010120303925

3 Likes

So is spinach, almonds and a litany of other foods. I think the risk is overblown, however the only thing that is really of no risk to anyone is meats (barring some random weird allergy to some specific meat)

3 Likes

Definitely! But for people already suffering from kidney issues, it’s good to be aware because they are very high compared to other things with oxalates.

2 Likes

The oxalic concentration is higher on the edges of the ridges. I usually cut the ends of the ridges before juicing.

1 Like

I was taking a friend to dialysis and there was sign by the front reception area,warning them to not eat Starfruit.

1 Like