Trying to figure out which apple to graft

Alan,

I’m all about learning so I can understand how things work and do it better.
You’ve been a big part of that over the years, thank you for that.
I use your spray schedule for Immunox and Triazicide every year.
Every time I look up at a tree getting a bit too tall, I have your words in my head “fruiting is dwarfing”.
So I bend the branches down like seen above.

The good eggs like yourself influence and help more folks than you realize.

2 Likes

And the observant hobby growers that participate in this forum teach me more than they probably realize. My business is doing a lot of the work for wealthy hobbyist growers, including sizing up trees for them in my nursery, so all the commentary here is invaluable both to my business and just the general pleasure of learning.

2 Likes

That’s a nice tree! I have Pomme Gris on P.18. It’s only on it’s second leaf but this year it seems to have gotten established and is now taking off.

1 Like

More food for thought about heat and apple quality.

I remember a couple of seasons ago in 2018 when we had one of the warmest Septembers on record with many days hitting the mid to upper 80s here in the Albany area the fruit quality was atrocious not just in my yard but the orchards as well. I remember trying a Golden Russet and there was virtually no flavor, very starchy. Same for my trees, the apples tasted virtually of nothing. Huge waste of a year for apples and I wasted a bit of money picking apples that went to mush in high humidity cold storage within about 8 weeks. I told myself after that, whenever there is a hot September, im not orchard picking that year. Total waste.

Very unusual, but attributed a lot of the problems to the hot September, when apples usually cool off at night.

1 Like