Morus nigra mulberry?

Yes, sorry about that, my fault!

Here is exact quote from TreeEater nursery in BC, Canada; and I referred Daves Garden in my response to them:

2 Likes

No worries, I understood what you meant. Only anecdotal evidence, and I agree with you. Please keep us updated on that plant.It looks great so far! Mine is plagued with a bacterial spot at the moment. It’s not going to die, but growth is done for this year because of it. Once dormant I will treat it with both copper (very strong stuff-Kocide, which is the best!) and lime-sulfur too. I will update mine when it’s worth updating. It did grow very well this summer until now anyway. Enough to harvest scion, well for me. At the moment I don’t want to ruin it’s beautiful structure. I will have scion available after the 2020 season.

1 Like

Capsrum Mulberry (Alba x Rubra hardy selection) is listed as “Canadian origin” in UK site, and this site put Morus Nigra picture :slight_smile: I noticed it many times… including eBay sellers and even brand-name companies, they put not-original pictures: https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/product/mulberry-morus-alba-x-rubra-capsrum/

Here is local nursery in Ontario, they have quite huge selection for our region:
https://www.grimonut.com/index.php?p=Products&category=mulberry

I am going to order few plants from them, including Illinois Everbearing, to compare with my Montreal Mulberry (which is super tasty and up to 4cm in length, planted last year Spring, trunk thickness: from 1cm to 6cm in two seasons!):

8 Likes

i just put in a 4’ northrop mulberry from cricket hill farms. was from a tree growing in z3b in upstate N.Y. st. lawrence nurseies first offered it. supposedly very productive. put on 14in. of new growth since spring. had 2 small mulberries on it. tasted pretty good. should produce a small crop next year.

2 Likes

Growing Morus Nigra from Seeds:

Anyone tried to extract seeds from dried fruits :slight_smile: I am going to try! Persian stores have it:

And you can clearly see seeds on this picture too! And plant only seeds from best tasting fruits!

3 Likes

Who said that Morus Nigras are hybrids and therefore cannot have seeds? (We are not hybrids!)

From Central Asia:
samarkand-black-mulberries-close

Described as “sour” taste;
https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/black-mulberries-100g-samarkand.html

I will definitely try to grow from such seeds!

UPDATE:

I just found few articles,

• Japan is breeding Mulberries since 1916
  • Japanese and other scientists described diploids (Morus Alba), triploids, pentaploids, hexaploids, …, 22-ploid (Morus Nigra)
  • there is “bridge” method, to finally create hybrid of Morus Nigra, by breeding-hybridization from diploids to higher-ploids

Just putting short summary here; full links at https://growingfruit.org/t/list-of-mulberries-morus-cataloged-by-ncgr-with-links/5525/39

3 Likes

Been trying for 10 years with seeds of M. nigra from Lebanon. 40 seedlings in total. I’m down to 2 and barely alive…I’m giving up. The four US grafted ones are doing well for now but haven’t fruited yet. Keeping my fingers crossed…

4 Likes

Same here!
I’v bothered with seedlings for 3 years and end up with only 3 (barely alive). The seeds have low germination rate and the seedlings have very low vitality. I don’t know the reason. I tried ful sun and partial shade (because of hot dry summers) with no result.
Maybe they need some kind of mycorrhizae?

4 Likes

Found this post after searching for Morus nigra hybrids. ¿Any update on this situation? I’d love to see a nigra x macroura hybrid. I’d love to grow one even more. :grin:

2 Likes

No…Nothing to report…I will email him though, and post his response.

1 Like

II grew out seeds and posted about it here a few year ago. So did you have any luck?

Well they are slow growing no doubt. I still have 2 plants from your seeds. The bigger one is 3rd leaf but only 2 feet tall. Looks great though!

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you Chriso. I thought my nigra seedlings were doing well, as a couple were about two feet tall…But looked at them this morning to see if any were getting ready to break bud (because our weather has been so warm) and noticed that all the ones growing in pots are all dead. I still have two nigra seedlings in the ground that are alive, but I don’t give them much hope.

2 Likes

What needs to be tried, preferably by someone with good grafting skills (certainly not me!!!), is to graft the top part of a Morus nigra seedling around year two before it starts declining onto an alba rootstock. I feel this is the only way to create new nigra varieties. I repeat what Lucille Whitman told me a few years ago when I asked why all nigras are grafted (not just in this country but also around the world): She said “nigras are good at making fruit, but not good at making roots”…I guess no one is perfect!!!

2 Likes

My nigras are not grafted… no doubt.

I plan to graft mine on alba. But I’m keeping the plant too. It’s mother is huge and on it’s own roots.

About whether the supposed Morus nigra “hybrid” was analyzed: It has been pushed aside because of other projects at the university, so the Belgium nurseryman was referred to another researcher, so possibly soon he will have a determination. Here is his response:

“Regarding the chromosome count: I’m in contact with another research institute that can perform the analysis for me. Apparently the best way to confirm the hybrid nature is by determining the genome size. Ploidity level and chromosome count are secondary…but I think I will have them analyzed anyway if not too expensive.”

1 Like

I posted in another thread pictures of my seedlings, 9 trees from 10 seeds,
https://growingfruit.org/t/morus-alba-and-morus-nigra-from-turkey/24020/21

I plan to plant is 4-in-a-hole in a hope it will create at least root-graft and be stronger, for at least 5-7 years, later on if needed I can “prune out” spare parts. I also want to experiment 1-white-3-nigras in a single hole (I’ll put seeds in styrofoam cup and I won’t separate them) so it may make “natural graft” over time.

Here is what I have right now, ready to be planted outside in few weeks, I ordered also “Plantra Tree Shelters” otherwise sunlight will kill them, seeds started sprouting in October 2019, and now they look very adult and they look very different; two huge strikes happened after 1-2 months of no-growth, and now others have no-growth:

4 Likes

BTW: I recently received letter from F. W. SCHUMACHER CO., INC., saying that Morus Nigra seeds which I purchased in September 2019 are not true to type; “We believe the seed is Morus alba var nigra or black Fruited Mulberry and not Morus Nigra”. Nice. I didn’t ask them; I hope they visited this forum :slight_smile: for comparison, few UK companies fought with me trying to prove they sent me Morus Nigra seeds.

Do they have true Morus Nigra now? If they do, they would send me replacement seeds instead of refund (I bought 1oz); they have it listed here: https://www.treeshrubseeds.com/specieslist?id=905&ID2=10

Looking good! Yes I had luck. I got two to grow. I have them in containers. One hardly has grown at all but is still alive. The other is growing well.

Last year in the middle of June.

Today buds are swelling. In zone 5b/6a So it’s still cold here. I have it in the garage. I give it light during the day. Todays about the last freeze warning. I plan to put it outside Thursday.

4 Likes