Unluckiest guy in the world

My luck hasn’t improved much! I said I wouldn’t keep posting my sob stories and frustrations, but many of you said its fine to do so, it is therapeutic, and no one understands the way other fruit growers do. Besides, this one isn’t a major tragedy and is something I bet many of you have faced.

We had a MAJOR storm here yesterday. I don’t know how hard the straight line winds were but lots of trees were down everywhere. I didn’t loose any fruit, but the loss of unripe fruit was heartbreaking. Also rather strange in that some trees lost almost all fruit, whereas some held most of their fruit.

My methley plum lost about 75% of the fruit on it. OMG. That was heart wrenching to see all the fruit I’d worked so hard for and which was my first crop ever just laying on the ground. They were JUST starting to get a little color so weren’t far at all from ripening, but they are certainly completely unusable. Wasted.

The other tree that was hit incredibly hard was an Asian pear. This tree literally lost 95% of its fruit, no exaggeration. A Euro pear 18 feet away lost almost no fruit!!! Again, all the lost fruit was too young to use for anything- complete waste.

Oh well. If growing fruit was easy everyone would do it! But it really hurt to throw all this in the trash!!!

I too would forgive and forget. Stuff happens. This isn’t at all like the herbicide ordeal. If he knows, he might lay a few T-bones on you. Damn…you really do have some crazy bad luck. I do also, but I think you got me beat.