USDA Zone chart

@Calron Im not attempting to grow anything like those in 6a using traditional methods. Making an observation. I do plenty of zone stretching at times within reason.

1 Like

This reminds me of a few years back when I got excited that several articles indicated I can grow olive trees in my zone 7b. Further investigation indicated they might survive here but would be unlikely to fruit. No point in that.

2 Likes

I certainly considered trying olives in 8a Charlotte NCā€¦but didnā€™t stick in the area long enough to make good on the idea. Usual winter low in the teens, but the record is minus 7.

(Two counties west of there I observed -5 in 2002 I think it was.)

I wouldnā€™t try them in Kentucky unless I could adequately protect themā€¦like maybe a greenhouse attached to south side of a building.

3 Likes

@amadioranch grows mango in Arizona! He does go to extra work to get it done. He shows up from time to time but does not post regular any longer.

1 Like

I say go for it :slight_smile: . It leads to innovation and new methods in growing things. Even in an arid or semi-arid zone 9, where certain tropicals may not survive, you better believe I would still push the envelope in seeing what I could grow. It makes the process even more enjoyable, though admittedly expensive if things donā€™t work out :grin:

3 Likes

Since Figs can grow back from the ground, they are one of the better candidates for zone stretching. I think I got lucky this year- it looks like we seem to be past the coldest part of the winter and the low was only about 10F. I skipped protecting my figs and it looks like I chose the right winter to do so. Iā€™ll be very interested to see which ones came though with their tops still alive.

According to the most recent map, Iā€™m on the edge between 6B and 7A , but in the past 10 years, I think the warmest winter was about 0F for a low. And there were a couple in the -8F and -9F (which killed most of my Asian persimmons). So, Iā€™m hoping that 10F lows are the new normal. Rather than moving South, I can just wait for South to move to me :slight_smile:

Forget Olives, with an attached greenhouse, Iā€™d be growing Mangos, Longon, Pineapple and Lychee! As it is, they are just in the living room at the moment, but havenā€™t been fruitful.

5 Likes

i wonder if the map will change again. this
winter has been the warmest iā€™ve seen.
never below 10,
i could have got away without wrapping my 6 year old figs if i had known.

I grew olive ā€œtreesā€ - in quotes because they only reached chest height - in my 8a or 8b garden. They probably never would have fruited here either. After deer ate them, I did not replace them. Iā€™ve read the same for loquats and pomegranates.

Figs do well here but it is specific to the cultivar. Some do great. Others are out of sync with the season, and donā€™t get a chance to ripen.

2 Likes

I agree the variety selection and microclimates are a big factor. I rely a lot on the experiences shared by folks on this forum. Such a great and helpful community. Iā€™ve got five varieties of figs that fruit well here while the Excel fig I planted in a prime spot 9 years ago looks happy but has never attempted to fruit. This year it gets grafted. Still experimenting with pomegranates. I enjoy the challenge of finding what thrives here but Iā€™m not a glutton for punishment to stretch zones much.

2 Likes

They might change it in 20 years when they get around to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

any of the mount etnas should do well almost anyplace
by the time i get thru culling only etnas will be left.

1 Like

I think snowflake and bgs last map are the best illustrations of colorado that i see. Many years we have a zone 6a year but every 3rd year we get hit back into the 5a/b range, because of our snap frosts however i had zone 6 stuff still fail to thrive even when the low did not get more than -8 so i happily stick with 5 things.

3 Likes

Winter of 2019-20 has been the second warmest on record so my Meyer lemon has cropped very well in an unheated greenhouse this year.

1 Like

@Ronan, did you need to pollinate the flowers by hand?

1 Like

Hi Bear_with_me, no I never considered hand pollinating lemons, they seem to self pollinate without insects in the greenhouse. I do help the few bees there are with pollinating sweet almond and Weinberg peaches (these peaches make excellent jam not sweet enough to eat raw).
Ronan

2 Likes

Well the new updated zones are in which places me, in saugatuck michigan, in ZONE 7! Unless a north eastern wind picks up! Zero degreesā€¦ as a lowā€¦ seem to recall -10 within last 20 yrs. So the big lake is 70deg on shoreline by July1, hasnā€™t frozen over in last decade, shoreline glaciers are minimal. 1st light freeze and snow along lakeshore oct 30.

3 Likes

I also donā€™t know how I feel about being zone 7 apparently? it gets below zero at times every year and Iā€™ve lost plenty of hardy-to-6 perennials in just the last 5 years.

1 Like