Using Captan in a backpack sprayer

I recently bought a backpack sprayer- a Osatu star 16 green. Up till now I have been only using an inexpensive 2 gallon pump up sprayer the same kind you use to kill weeds. I want to use the new backpack sprayer with Captan 50 powder.

My question is do you typically pre-mix the Captan in a bucket and then add it to the sprayer or just add the Captan to the sprayer directly and mix it in the sprayer tank? The Osatu star 16 green is a manual piston pump type sprayer similar to the Jatco sprayers. The manual that came with the sprayer doesn’t offer any guidance. I know with Surround you would want to pre-mix in a bucket and then filter the liquid thru a screen to remove large chunks but that seems to be overkill for Captan which is a pretty fine powder.

If you guys have experience with Captan in piston pump sprayers I would really like to hear from you.

I have found that Captan 50 powder is very hard to dissolve (or maybe mine is old). To me, dissolving it before pouring it in the tank is a must. I would even go further to suggest that mixing Captan in a bucket with a bit of acidic water to make slurry first before adding the rest of acidic water.

I am used to mixing Surround powder with water in a bucket. That is a piece of cake compared to mixing Captan 50 powder.

1 Like

I used Captan 80 WDG in a backpack sprayer with no problems. The wettable granules dissolve well and don’t cause any problems. Just something to consider if you experience issues with the Captan 50.

2 Likes

My sprayer is similar and I usually mix the powder in a gallon size plastic milk jug,using warm water.It seems to work fine.There is also a filter basket,at the tank’s top.

1 Like

Once this bottle is gone, I will go with WDG for ease of dissolving it.

What is the rate per gallon of water with Captan 80?

I use 4 tsp / gal. There was a recent thread that discussed the rate per gallon :
Captan 80 WDG - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit
I think the consensus was for 1 Tbs / gal, so my rate is slightly higher, but I did calculate the rate based upon the higher concentration of Captan in 80 WDG as compared to the rate used for the Captan 50.

1 Like

Thank you.

I saw that thread but after a few people commented on it, it got confusing. I think I will go with 1 TBSP because I use Captan with Indar to prevent fungicide resistance, in addition to fighting diseases.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies.