Using seedling apple as rootstock

I googled it, quite a process. It did seem to start with a controlled cross and lots of seeds. The testing from that point forward was amazing to find the perfect rootstock. Makes my fifteen seedlings look pretty pathetic !

If I’m reading this right. Bigdoug used apple seed for named fruit as his seedling rootstock.

All generalizations are false, but I’m thinking that his grafted trees would become full sized if not pruned.

The fellow who first showed me how to graft used just this, to make his standard sized grafted trees.

I grow a long row of seedling apples. Some will be more susceptible to disease and some less. There will be short ones and tall ones. One thing I learned from growing them is that they all had some desirable characteristics I found to use them for. In the future I won’t graft them over until I allow them to fruit first. All of mine sucker around the base accept one. I love my seedling apple project because you never know what they will wind up. The best tasting apples I ever tried came from my row of seedlings. When you graft them there may be times when your scion wood out grows the trunk but usually that’s not the case.

2 Likes

Here is my Hudson golden gem on a seedling rootstock. It is very vigorous. I pulled the entire tree to the right all the way to horizontal last spring. This fall I pulled it clear to the left at horizontal. So far this spring it has slowed the vigor down. All of the vertical shoots from last summer are pointing down and the tree seems confused and can’t decide if it should continue to push growth from last years sprouts or push new vertical growth from the topside of the trunk

1 Like

Some sucker, some don’t. Most seedling roots make full sized trees. A lack of disease resistance might be the biggest concern as there’s going to be much variation in that area from seedlings. Although seedlings of disease resistant trees should have better odds of producing disease resistant rootstocks.

That an old post…any updates?

Ha, yea I can give an update. After a couple years the tree was an absolute monster and it was clear that no amount of pruning would keep it to a manageable size. I tried anyway but after year 4 I gave it the axe.

Maybe you should have grafted naturally self-dwarfing varieties on the tree- like Goldrush and spur Ark Black. I manage hundreds of old apple trees on seedling rootstock and they produce as good and as much fruit in relative space as trees on M7, but take a bit longer to come into productivity. If you prune with the information I provide in my pruning guide, even vigorous varieties should be manageable on seedling rootstocks, as long as you give them at least 25’ spacing. One trend with full sized trees I’ve noticed, is that they may be more reliably annual than size reducing root stocks.

Here, rootstock has very little to do with disease resistance on the freestanding trees I manage. It’s a much bigger issue on full dwarfs.

The problem with more vigorous rootstocks is that they tend to require more pruning done with more skill, but that skill ain’t exactly rocket science and can be achieved by any serious hobbyist.

2 Likes

I have some full size apples that came with the property, and after years of trying to manage them it’s clear that I cannot. I thought if I could keep this one small it would be something I could properly take care of. In my mind I could keep this at 12’-15’ size by just pruning a lot, and that didn’t seem possible.

From my experience with the full size trees, I don’t think it’s reasonable for a homeowner like me to properly care for them. How the hell do you spray a 25’ tall tree if you’ve just got a backpack sprayer? How could you ever properly thin such a huge tree? As you said pruning is manageable, but a huge job and no fun when you’re on top of a 10’ wobbly ladder with a pruning saw. Picking is no fun either when you’re moving and climbing a ladder 100 times per tree.

I’ve learned my lesson and will be sticking with dwarf and semi-dwarf rootstocks from now on. I’m growing fruit for fun, and full size trees aren’t fun, they’re WORK!

1 Like

I have 100 year old trees I manage at 15’ in height. How do you do that- by cutting off the tree at a 15’ height. For well established trees this may take a decade, or if they lack adequate vigor, may not be possible at all, but for young trees you are training, it is mostly a matter of pulling scaffolds to a more horizontal position.

If the Japanese can accomplish this in commercial scale with cherries on Mazzard, you can with apples on seedling.

Pruning, like anything else, is usually not much fun until you understand how to do it and it’s no harder to learn than surfing, IMO. Not as much fun as that, I admit, but a full sized apple tree at 20 years of age shouldn’t require more than a couple hours of pruning annually if you aren’t debating with yourself about every cut.

However, if you aren’t interested in learning the finer points of pruning or simply find it to be a burden, certainly less vigorous rootstocks are for you. If you like planting a legacy that future generations can enjoy when it becomes among the most beautiful trees in a landscape and can produce bushels of fruit of many varieties, you might consider growing apples on seedling rootstocks. One tree can be like an entire home orchard bearing as much fruit as a family needs, including gift baskets to friends.

1 Like

Some trees I picked using a 16 foot ladder 40 years ago still exist here in my county.
They have been ‘butchered’ so that they are much more spread than tall…and the crop ain’t half that it used to be…but they do still produce. (Evidently enough they’ve not been replaced by more trellises and M9 trees!)