Varieties per State

As a 48 year resident of WI, I always figured the U.P. should’ve been part of that state :grin:

1 Like

…and 39th Parallel apple.

2 Likes

I know a lot of apples have been bred in WV in Kearneysville and in the Eastern panhandle. The most common WV apples are Grimes Golden and Gold Delicious. Nittany was also created in WV before being named by Penn State. Probably the best fruit to come out of WV is Glenglo peach.

1 Like

I’ve got the MSU kiwi (it’s also called Jumbo)…

My desire to get Rhode Island Greening stems from my originally being from RI, though I now live in Michigan.

I also generally grow Detroit beets…

Scott

1 Like

You got it backwards, flip that W! :slight_smile:

Being in NC, where fireblight and other diseases all maintain permanent homes, I have actively sought out NC varieties to try to improve my odds. I have sought out Southern Heritage varieties of apples, some of which it’s super unclear where exactly they came from. So I have some local russets called Razor Russet and Rusty Coat which may actually be relatives or the same, I have Oat apples and Horse apples which are from either here or VA.

Fortunately, for peaches we have had the NCSU program, so I am trying to collect those. I have Contender, Carolina Gold and Reliance, and I am grafting Intrepid and Clayton this year.

I would love to try crossing them with showy varieties to try to give back a late, cold hardy peach with curb appeal.

Your growing kiwi in michigan? I’ve never heard of that…

I like learning new fruit stuff!

Yes, all are hardy here, not regular kiwi, those small ones you can eat the skin. they are just as good, maybe better, some have red flesh, or yellow flesh. Most are green. The hardy kiwi, which are the ones mostly offered all over.

The Michigan State University kiwi (MSU) was found growing on campus near the tennis courts, been there years and years. Class of 81 for me! My Alma Mater. .

1 Like

Yep…perfectly hardy. (And I’m tempted to try growing fuzzy kiwis too). Biggest polemic seems to be spring damage due to late frosts once breaking dormancy…

Heck, if you’re in michigan’s zone 5 I’d love to show them off. My biggest headaches with them are pruning (still haven’t figured that out fully) and when they ferment in he fall and become alcoholic (drunk squirrels are jerks)

Scott

2 Likes

I grow 4 apple varieties discovered within 30 miles of where I’m sitting (here in Oregon): Hudson’s golden gem, Orenco, Apricot apple, and Airlie red flesh, plus Coos River beauty from southern Oregon. I seem to have good results with locally discovered/bred varieties–they leaf out relatively early and hold their leaves longer to take advantage of our longer growing season, and they don’t suffer too much from our ridiculously wet rainy season.

4 Likes