Vegetables That Come Back Next Year

Turnips (7-tops), asparagus, daylilies, peppers (if you live in zone 9, 10 or tropics.
water cress. horseradish. rhubarb. Carrots can live into the next year.

Parsley, thyme, chives, and oreganoā€¦ these may not be considered vegetables, but we use them in the kitchen and they come back every year.

1 Like

rhubarb and purslane are two I grow. I guess if tomato gets to be a vegetable, maybe rhubarb is a fruit.

1 Like

That weed Purslane is something we sell at farmers market, in salad mixes and by itself. Some see it and laugh that they just pulled a whole bunch out their garden or from the edge of their driveway, but some weeks we sell out of it.

A very tiny red cherry tomato takes off on its own in many of our gardens, especially, and conveniently, in the garlic beds after the garlic has been harvested. It is our best selling tomato at market.

2 Likes

As you go north, especially in test winters, that list dwindles quite a bit. Even the number of items one can sow directly from seed goes down. Itā€™s heating pad, plant lights, cold frame and other such coddling.

I should probably try purslane, of which I have pulled plenty this year, but after the intense bellyache I got from cooking and eating the rather tasty nettles, Iā€™m a little chicken to try it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a fairly sensitive stomach and I find purslane is easier on it then even lettuce.

1 Like

Choices for northerners certainly are limited. I grew hablitzia/Caucasian mountain spinach and they survive two winters so far. I tried the leaves this past spring and they did taste similar to spinach.

How do you prep Cardoons. I planted a single artichoke that wont be doing much this year.

I grow self seeded Goldgelber purslane, I think. The leaves are big, and it grows 6-10" high. The stems are crisp and palatable, and its easy to harvest. Didnā€™t blink at the 118 degree weather.

If it werenā€™t easy to grow, and I didnā€™t know better, Iā€™d probably be willing to pay a good price for it. Certainly prepared from a restaurant Iā€™d prefer it to most salad greens.

4 Likes

They are usually tied up and blanched while growing and to cook, are often peeled and braised until soft.

I feel like making quiche. I just harvested an assortment of about ten different PERENNIAL veggies from the garden.

Fen nettle, sochan, scotts lovage, hablitzia, salsify, water celery, persicaria, sea lake, perennial kale, gomchwiā€¦

3 Likes

Watercress is growing like weed here.

2 Likes

White mans footprintā€¦ aka broadleaf plantain.

Young tender leaves good in saladsā€¦ but my fav part is the seed head/spikesā€¦ you have to pick them when young and tenderā€¦ to be goodā€¦ Sautee in butter/bacon fat, salt pepper garlic ā€¦ taste a lot like asparagus.

These grow wild all over.

3 Likes