Very disappointed in Citation rootstock due to crown gall issue + a lot of talk about Rootstock developments in the EU

Any chance you are getting a K86 with plum budded on? I wanted to get another one for grafting prunes. I read that Myro 29C is susceptible to prune brown line disease. If yes, I will check with them. I don’t want one with a peach interstem.

They only had Santa Rosa and Satsuma on K-86, but you better call them to see if they still have them. I am not sure however that grafting prunes on these Asian plums is a good idea. Anyone tried?

1 Like

Thanks for passing on this tip @Girly , most of my trees are on Lovell, but I do have one 12 year old apricot on Citation. It is doing very well, but this topic does have me a little worried. I ordered another apricot on Citation to plant this spring, from Bay Laurel Nursery, so I assume it will be Dave Wilson stock. Based on your post, I ordered some NOGALL, and will prep my new tree accordingly. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I have grafted Lavina and Muir Beauty on Satsuma and they grew well (both already fruited). Great Yellow I grafted on the same tree last year is quite vigorous as well. Of course, all the grafts are fairly new and I’m not sure if there are any late compatibility issues.

1 Like

Would you describe the fruits flavor. Mine fruited last year but was picked by squirrel. How big is fruit ? I recall mine fruits are small

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to taste it. I was on vacation over the summer and I asked a family member to come check on the house and gather the bounty (it was a bumper year for fruits last year). He checked on the house every week, even watered some pots, but never bothered to pick a single fruit :slight_smile: Not everyone is as obsessed as us with fresh fruits! I heard it tastes very similar to French Improved, which I have tried. That means, it will be a prune-plum with sweet but mild flavor.

1 Like

So true. I know I am a little bit on fruits nut side😊. If the wabbit behaves, not chew the branches and buds, I should have some harvest this year

1 Like

Krymsk-1 is now off patent and may be a good substitute for Citation. It is showing good compatibility with Candy Heart, Flavor Grenade, and Tlor. I also have Rosy Gage, Opal, and Queen Victoria plums on Krymsk-1. It is also supposed to be easy to stool. It is sensitive in the roots early in the season, but does not seem to be as sensitive to drought as Citation.

I also have a root sucker of Mustang rootstock that has some buds swelling. If I can keep the slugs and deer off of it, I may be able to stool it this Summer.

Krymsk-1 has been very dwarfing for me. I would recommend it only if you want a very compact tree or if you have a very rich soil.

We have silt soil with a bit of sand, gravel, and organic matter mixed in. I have found that K-1 is more vigorous with some varieties. Queen Victoria put out at least twice the growth of Opal. Candy heart appears to be a mini-dwarf right now, but another season could change that. I want to try to do a Candy Heart interstem with Nadia. Nadia grows very well on K-1, but does not appear to feed the rootstock. Two attempts to graft Nadia to K-1 resulted in strong first year growth followed by a scion that woke with a dead rootstock.

I have not tried peach or nectarine yet, but I want to try my Spice-Z nectaplum.
How dwarfing has it been in your orchard?

Very dwarfing, especially for peaches, but I have a heavy clay soil (most trees are planted on mounds). I moved some peaches on Krymsk-1 into raised beds and they seem to do better there.

Most peach rootstocks hate my soil. Ishtara is the only one that worked well so far. I just started experimenting with peaches on Viking and Krymsk-86, hope for some good results but too early to tell.

I have been curious about Krymsk-86, but have not found a source for the rootstock. I don’t like the idea of buying a tree just to get the rootstock. I have my fingers crossed on the Mustang sucker, because it gives some serious vigor the the plums I have grafted to it. It is Canadian in origin and common North of the border. The only source of Mustang I have seen in the U.S. is to buy Black Ice grafted to it.

1 Like

Where do you buy nogall?

From Girly

1 Like

I’ve often grafted J. plums to Euro. No compatibility problem after about 8 years but the J’s tend to dominate here. E. plums are always slowed by leaf-hoppers that don’t seem able to exploit J.s.

However, the lit says doing it the other way around is problematic. I haven’t tried grafting E’s on a J because I’ve read that it doesn’t work well but I think I’ll try it.

here NOGALL for preventing Crown Gall Disease - Evergreen Growers Supply, LLC

Where did you get Krymsk-1.

1 Like

Sierra Gold Nurseries in Yuba California will sell a minimum order of 5 trees on soil on Krymsk 86 for $25/tree (whips) plus shipping.

I did a minimum order to get Rootpac-R rootstock which had Desert Gold peach grafted to it.

So yeah I still bought a tree to get the rootstock I wanted, but it was a small one compared to almost all nursery sized trees. Minimum order though… And shipping is expensive since it’s in soil (1/2 gallon).

Ask for Charlie… Though he may be the one who answers the phone.

2 Likes