Very thankful for ARS GRIN programs! A plethora of pears & apples!

I don’t work there…I’m only a volunteer there a few times a year. If I had the run of the place you can bet I’d accumulate a lot more info. I go with the Home Orchard Society (HOS) to pick pears (~Sept. 20), and then again (~Oct 20) to pick mostly other stuff and get the picked pears out of cold-storage, then again in maybe late Feb/early March (? whenever the scions came last year) to cut pear scions and…this I’m not sure about…maybe some other scions, too. I don’t think we cut other scions last year but I’m going to mention it to Joseph, Curator of all things Pyrus. There are other folks there who are in charge of other things (non-pyrus) and I think getting cuttings etc., may need to be cleared with them. I hope it can be done 'cuz I want some alt-scions from the mostly-other-stuff orchard, and maybe a couple scions from a couple hazel trees.

1 Like

I can only imagine how cool it is there seeing that orchard! How many acres is it?

1 Like

I have no idea re: acreage. I can’t even figure it out looking at the satellite photos. There is a lot that goes on there that I have never seen.

1 Like

I’m seeing many posts where people have received scions but so far I have not yet received an email that the order has shipped. Love this program!

3 Likes

Last I heard (from the HOS Prez) the Corvallis NCGR pear-scion-cutting day will be “Feb 23, weather permitting.” We are having a very warm Winter so far and I’m kinda nervous about the scions that I’m cutting for forum members from my own little mini orchard…I don’t know if I want to wait that long. I am as low on the totem pole as one can get re: NCGR or HOS (Home Orchard Society/scion cutters), so I don’t even think I’ll mention my concerns to anyone for fear that they will laugh themselves into a persistent hacking cough. They are professionals; I occasionally graft things upside down. We’ll see what happens.
Edit:
I just found out that I evidently missed the scion cutting for the forum folks (and the rest of the world) and the upcoming cutting is just for the HOS Propagation Fair. Too bad, I always like to go out to the orchard.

3 Likes

Seedy,

Ever help Corvallis clip the strawberry stolons?

They clip strawberries too-- not just pears.

1 Like

Received a shipping notification though I’m not sure if it’s from Geneva or Corvallis. It says it’s from USDA-ARS-NAA-PGRU

3 Likes

I’ve only gathered pear scions; though I’ve picked a lot of pears, and other fruit, for the tasting days. The HOS propagation fair is the next thing to prepare for ('bout a month away) and I’ve never done that…and I’m pretty sure that apples and pears are the vast majority of the scions/cuttings available…but…there are also lots of other items offered. I hope we cutters get scions/cuttings from many things at NCGR. The Asian pears (some), quinces, hardy kiwis, etc., etc., are in the ‘other’ non-pear orchard and…there are separate areas for Hazel, blueberry, and many things I don’t know about. I have no idea what the agenda will be for the day.
There is also an organization, with a name I can’t remember, that has taken over a vast private collection orchard and is starting to provide scions to the HOS (and elsewhere?). The HOS headquarters and main activities are kind of far away from me, and the NCGR is a large federal organization with which I have no official connection. I try to volunteer where I can 'cuz it’s fun.

5 Likes

Tracked the package and it’s from Geneva

Louisville, KY, US
01/31/2018 2:26 P.M.
Departure Scan
01/31/2018 10:31 A.M.
Arrival Scan
East Syracuse, NY, US
01/31/2018 8:28 A.M.
Departure Scan
01/31/2018 4:00 A.M.
Arrival Scan
01/31/2018 3:42 A.M.
Departure Scan
East Syracuse, NY, US
01/30/2018 10:20 P.M.
Arrival Scan
Geneva, NY, US
01/30/2018 9:23 P.M.
Departure Scan
01/30/2018 8:43 P.M.
Origin Scan
US
01/30/2018 10:19 A.M.
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

1 Like

I see I have an ARS package from Geneva which is also currently in Louisville. They must have been traveling partners. :smiley:

2 Likes

Geneva apple scions look great! It’s true that I mostly grow pears but I suspect the half a dozen apples I’m adding this year will be welcome additions when they start producing! I grow about 20+ types of apples but my pear collection is extensive.

9 Likes

This makes me very happy!!!

This message was sent to you at the request of USDA-ARS-PWA-NCGR-CORVALLIS to notify you that the shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below.

Pear scions on the way!

7 Likes

That makes two of us! Got my email today also. A surprise since I just looked at my order online this morning and it still said Pending. Three hardy pears scions I couldn’t find elsewhere - what a treat. Sue

5 Likes

CORVALLIS Is an incredible program! The order is getting close!

2/23/2018 8:50 A.M.
Out For Delivery Today
02/23/2018 8:29 A.M.
Destination Scan
02/23/2018 6:53 A.M.
Arrival Scan
Kansas City, MO, US
02/23/2018 6:34 A.M.
Departure Scan
02/23/2018 5:15 A.M.
Arrival Scan
Rockford, IL, US
02/23/2018 3:40 A.M.
Departure Scan
Rockford, IL, US
02/22/2018 2:10 P.M.
Arrival Scan
Spokane, WA, US
02/22/2018 9:17 A.M.
Departure Scan
02/22/2018 7:26 A.M.
Arrival Scan
Portland, OR, US
02/22/2018 6:27 A.M.
Departure Scan
02/22/2018 4:40 A.M.
Arrival Scan
02/22/2018 4:06 A.M.
Departure Scan
Portland, OR, US
02/21/2018 10:31 P.M.
Arrival Scan
Albany, OR, US
02/21/2018 8:50 P.M.
Departure Scan
02/21/2018 6:10 P.M.
Origin Scan
02/21/2018 2:18 P.M.
Pickup Scan
US
02/21/2018 1:49 P.M.
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

3 Likes

My scions were as large & long as others have raved about, and much appreciated (as others have also noted). They came with an interesting note attached:
The USDA-ARS National Clonal Germplasm Repository freely distributes plant materials from its globally diverse collectionns. Your order cost about $10 in packaging and postage. If you would like to help defray expenses, consider making a donation to our “Friends Foundation”: http://agresearchfoundation.oregonstate.edu/friends-national-clonal-germplasm-repository

Anyone know if there is a similar appropriate “Friends” group for Geneva? Couldn’t find anything.

5 Likes

The order really does look great this year! There was 1 pear scion I didn’t get and some scions I ordered I got as duplicates for a few grafts that I’m concerned about. Note the scions compared to the peace of paper that is 8 1/2 x 11".

4 Likes

I didn’t see the “friends foundation” note on my order from Geneva, I would gladly donate $ 10 or $ 20 for the scions I have received this year.

1 Like

I ordered pear scions from Corvallis a few days before the order deadline. I had never ordered before. When I check the status of my order it says “reviewing”. Does anyone have any insight into what this means?

I wouldn’t worry, my order from Geneva still says reviewing- they shipped them 2 weeks ago.

I think the donation is for Corvallis only, each repository has its own funding stream I think… The donation is via Oregon State U which could be the contractor running the repository.

1 Like