Very thankful for ARS GRIN programs! A plethora of pears & apples!

Now that I think about it, bosc is one pear that I crave the most, not many pears that shape and color, while having such a strong and sudden flavor. I’d like to find the least disease resistant pear that tastes like that. If you know any worth trying. I am wondering what ‘Beurre Bosc - Gebhart Russetless’ tastes like, the fruit quality and how disease resistant it is https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1436445

1 Like

@scottfsmith highly recommends doctor desportes because of its higher disease resistance. I’ve grown it here now in Kansas a couple of years with no signs of pest or disease. It has not flowered yet. Doctor desportes has a flavor somewhat like Beurre Bosc. The word Beurre
— translated from French means butter. Beurre Bosc is highly disease susceptible. Beurre is used to describe texture and flavor as buttery and like the word melting that is highly desirable. If you see beurre in the front you can bet its high quality pear! Thats why i want the following pears
Beurre Alexandre Lucas
Beurre Auguste
Beurre Capiaumont
Beurre Clairgeau
Beurre Diel
Beurre Dilly
Beurre Dubuisson
Beurre Easter
Beurre Flon
Beurre Fouqueray
Beurre Gris
Beurre Gris d’Hiver Nouveau
Beurre Henri Courcelle
Beurre Inflancka
Beurre Jean van Geert
Beurre Madame Henre Lamy
Beurre Millet
Beurre Naghin
Beurre Phillippe Delfosse
Beurre Six
Beurre Slucka
Beurre d’Amanlis
Beurre d’Amanlis Panachee
Beurre d’Angleterre
Beurre d’Arenberg
Beurre d’Avril
Beurre de Bollwiller
Beurre de Jonghe
Beurre de Mortillet
Beurre de Nantes

As an example Beurre Alexandre Lucas has the description
“Originated as a chance seedling in the Department of Loire et Cher, France, 1866. Fruit resembles that of Buerre d’Anjou in size and form. Skin smooth, quite free of blemish, green-yellow with green dots, quite attractive. Flesh white, medium fine, buttery, juicy. Sweet with pleasing flavor, equal or superior to Buerre d’Anjou in dessert quality. Apparently keeps as long as Anjou in cold storage, ripens easily and retains it’s quality for some time afterwards. Somewhat softer than Anjou in texture and more susceptible to pressure bruises. Tree moderately vigorous, clean, and productive. Semi-dwarf on quince. Moderately susceptible to blight. – H. Hartman, Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station, 1957.” - https://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrcult.html

Thanks for the response, yet in time I’d like to find or create something a lot like Bosc in flavor, not just somewhat like in flavor. I am sure that people can understand that, it tastes incredible as is.

PS it’s the disease sensitivity of Bosc, why I have not put it on my list of what to try. Yet some time in the future I’d certainty accept some bosc pollen from someone, to experiment with hybridization using bosc.

1 Like

Received notice today that my pears have been shipped!

3 Likes

My pear scions were shipped and should arrive in a few days! Looking at what worked last year and what didn’t What Pears will you grow this year?

3 Likes

Who has started grafting your ars grin pears?

1 Like

Maybe early May, but possibly end of April since things seem early. Slow down mother nature!

1 Like

Not yet, but hopefully soon. Finishing up with stone fruit grafts. Apples and pears are easier, so they can wait.

2 Likes

Anyone making orders soon from Corvallis?

1 Like

Corvallis European pear selection is extensive NCGR-Corvallis: Pyrus Catalog

2 Likes