Viburnum edule - cultivars or plant source?

Steve, I owe you two shippings as it is.

They are not all that productive but they make up by liking the under forest. If you have a forested area they’ll happily live under them.

Would you like to also try watermelon berries and the fiddle ferns from here? The watermelon berries are also not that productive, the berries are ok’ish, but the plants are very pretty and the shoots are fantastic, like a cross between an asparagus and a cucumber. Both of those also do well in a forest provided that they get enough humidity, but can put up with dry spells.

1 Like

that sounds good. if you can find a wild arctic raspberry to add that would be even better. whatever you could put together is cool.

1 Like

Sadly I don’t have those but I plan on hunting them down this year along with cloudberries. The squash berries (edule) and watermelon berries I do have on hand.

Send me your address again, I’ll put a few in the mail. They are starting to wake up but should have enough energy to pick up again after travel. I’ll add edule seeds, the fruit are still hanging from some of the bushes and are obviously stratified from spending the entire winter out there. I don’t know if they are the sort that need one or two year stratification.

2 Likes

Good propagation info found for this plant includes:

Native Plant Network — Reforestation, Nurseries and Genetics Resources (from seed - Alaska Plant Materials Center)

Native Plant Network — Reforestation, Nurseries and Genetics Resources (from veg - Glacier NP)

Viburnum edule (USFS FEIS infinitely useful for native stuff)

https://courses.washington.edu/esrm412/protocols/2012/VIED.pdf (one of many apparent student final projects from a UW wild plant propagation class, most are fairly good, this info mainly from the above but was found first so sources were useful!)

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/items/2537ecb8-522b-44fc-9b91-878f19a33910/view/598ea608-5777-4657-9601-83e3da700370/Viburnum-20edule.pdf (U AB/tar sands something or other based on oil company logos on pages…)

And the book in russian referred to earlier in the thread (for Viburnums in general/other than edule)

The sad thing is that the Alaska Plants Materials Center is 25 minutes from my house and I’m yet to stop by. I have been meaning to do that for five years in a row :confused:

1 Like