Visit to Scott Smith Orchard!

Super nice orchard, great use of space, thanks for the pics!!

3 Likes

I donā€™t remember ever seeing such good photos of Scottā€™s Orchard, so it was super fun to see it all. Of course, just as I expected, it is laid out so skillfully and the trees and ground all look so good that it makes me feel really bad about my own sad looking orchard! ha. Amazing how much he/you have done in right there in a fairly small area in the middle of a subdivision. Goes to show that this hobby can be enjoyed by almost anyone!

8 Likes

I might have to make a pilgrimage as wellā€¦Iā€™m in Dover, DE, so a day trip is definitely a possibility.

2 Likes

Nice. I may have to make the trip up from Howard County one of these days.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith
Good job on the orchard/ yard !
You have them packed in there.
I envision a day when most " yards" look like yours.
Does look like a good use of space, and so much better than what " most" yards look like .
Thanks for providing such a good example of what could beā€¦
And for this site to learn howā€¦

7 Likes

Wow your place is awesome @scottfsmith! I couldnā€™t get rows looking that nice ever with my michigan blow sand unless I brought in trucks upon trucks of dirt as it washes away, lol.

I always love to see things that people are doing. Love the the rows you have!

3 Likes

I wanna see pictures of @scottfsmithā€™s pet deer amongst his fruit trees! :grinning:

5 Likes

@Naeem didnā€™t get a cam shot but half a dozen deer came through when we were on the tour. They were bold, its like they were saying ā€œwhat are you doing in our orchard??ā€

13 Likes

i hunt at a friends farm in easton, maryland occasionally with my brother. next time Iā€™m down ill give you a yell Scott. ill go cull some of those tree eaters for you, with my crossbow. :wink:

5 Likes

Scott,

It appears your orchard will become an agritourism destination in no time, will be there admission fees? :rofl:

Proceeds go toward deer prevention funds.

6 Likes

Funds will go to building a wall! LOL!

7 Likes

yep. i agree! a orchard like that needs protection! :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe your friend knows Steve (@hambone). I think heā€™s in the Easton area.

1 Like

Maybe you could leave a tip bucket so when they do any sampling, they can leave a goodwill offering.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve already got deer ā€œofferingsā€ all over the yard ā€¦ at least they donā€™t stink as bad as some other animal ā€œofferingsā€ā€¦! There is enough of it to count as a bit of fertilizer for my trees.

7 Likes

Very inspirational Scott, I looked at the pics this morning and have been outside tinkering in the yard most of the day. Cant wait for mine to look that established.

1 Like

. . . .and the deer are going to pay for it!:wink:

13 Likes

Yeah, same here, there are those nugget piles all over our yard, some by the fruit trees, some not. With the ground as wet as it is, there are also hoof prints all over the place.

Since youā€™re in the 'burbs, do you have to also deal with the two-legged varmits taking samples?

1 Like

Not much recently, knock on wood. In the past I had a few thieves but they seem to have moved on. Unfortunately Iā€™ve got all types of 4-leggeds, big medium and small.

2 Likes

Just saw this thread a couple days old. Pretty interesting Scott. Thanks for the pics Naeem.

First thing I noticed was the very neat lines of a weed free strip for the trees. Donā€™t know how you got them so straight. Almost like you pulled a string to do it. :smiley: I personally like clean lines. Makes things look professional to me.

I also couldnā€™t help notice the nice NE homes around you. I have to wonder if your affluent NE neighbors think youā€™re peculiar for not having a lawn?

I think itā€™s smart, but then Iā€™m one of the weirdos common to the forum who thinks, ā€œWhy grow grass when you can grow food?ā€

14 Likes