Walk In Cooler!

Before photos

3 Likes

That’s a great find Clark. I had to buy just one piece of 2" x 4’ x 8’ piece of board insulation this winter, and it was like 50 bucks. And it is only an R-10. Stuff is crazy expensive.

4 Likes

Rick,

Does the defrost timer on the cool bot work to melt the ice on the air conditioner?

1 Like

A few more photos Of the 6" panels

8 Likes

I’m not sure. We turned the AC unit off when it froze up.

2 Likes

@Olpea

Things have went up so much every year im beginning to feel like a hoarder buying copper etc. in bulk but it always saves me money. The cooler will really be useful for my aronia and pear farm among other things.

1 Like

I stumbled across this and wonder what you all think about it. Supposedly only $2700 for a 10’ reefer unit. I’m sure that doesn’t include shipping costs though.

It’s more expensive than a cool bot, but not much, if one has to buy all new materials to build a cool room. Plus my guess is these reefer units are pretty tight and well insulated? Lastly the compressors in these things are big enough to cool field hot fruit, I think.

Thoughts please.

5 Likes

What a great find! Much less expensive than a new cooler box with no refrigeration.

Looks like it could function as a freezer or as a cooler.

Not sure about the 5 pole 32Amp connection it mentioned.

Probably 3 phase and perhaps some international voltage standard.

2 Likes

@Olpea

Looks like a pretty good deal to me!

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s 3 phase

2 Likes

Has anyone considered running an air source heat pump in lieu of an a/c unit? I imagine the wall mount a/c units are generally not as energy efficient as a heat pump. A quick look seems to show a SEER rating around 9-10 for a/c units and I know heat pumps can get around 21-23 SEER these days. The marginal added cost might be worthwhile in the long run.

2 Likes

They probably are 3 phase. I’ve looked at other reefer containers and those are 3 phase. My guess is container ships supply 3 phase through their on ship generators?

A VFD phase converter would add some cost. I’m guessing around $600 for a decent phase converter. That would up the cost to $3300 plus shipping.

When I was a controls engineer I worked with a lot of 480v 3PH motors and starters but never had to convert any single phase to 3 phase.

I believe you may need a transformer too if the unit requires 480.

Wondering if a phase converter may be a better choice if you don’t need to vary the speed.

Keep us in the loop if you buy the unit. I see it ships from Georgia which is not too far from me, I may buy one too.

3 Likes

Looks like what is pictured:

and

Electrical System
System wired for 380/460volt-3ph50/60Hz power
Safe 24-volt AC control circuit with
fuse protection
Main power circuit breaker
18m (60-ft) power cable with
attached CEE-17 plug
Electric heat

1 Like

I use a VFD to convert single phase to 3 phase for my milling machine, but there is no step up in voltage. A VFD was cheaper than a rotary phase converter, and less power wastage. I’ve not had any trouble with the VFD except that it blows a breaker not on the same circuit as the milling machine.

In other words, the milling machine is on it’s own dedicated circuit. The one outlet, wire, and circuit breaker only power the milling machine. But many times when I’m using the milling machine it will blow another circuit breaker which powers some kitchen and front deck lights.

This had me really scratching my head for a while. I finally read that VFDs can send feedback upstream somehow (I’m not an electrical engineer, so I’ve no idea how this happens.) Apparently that is what is going on. It’s not a cheap VFD either (It’s a Yaskawa - Japanese made) so I don’t think I can blame it on the VFD.

I looked online and you are right of course about a transformer being required.

About the 5 pole 32 amp connection? I’m assuming that’s 32A at 460v? If so, that’s a pretty good sized transformer (and VFD).

On one of the links that Wendell posted, it has some power data that I don’t understand.

As I read this chart, it seems to show that cooling to 2C uses 10250 watts.

Cooling to -18C uses 6010 watts.

Cooling to -29C uses 3100 watts.

But this makes no sense to me. How would keeping the refrigeration unit cooler on the inside reduce power consumption? This is impossible, so I’m sure I’m reading the chart wrong, but what does the chart mean?

1 Like

Currently thinking about using a mini split since I will be putting it in the basement where there are not windows. I think I can run a mini split with just a 3 inch hole in the wall

2 Likes

They work well built one for a customer in the fall

4 Likes

Looks great! What type of panelng are you using for walls?

2 Likes

4x8 sheets of Azek pvc that we did a ship lap joint and caulked together

2 Likes

If you have a walk in cooler don’t forget they are GREAT for storing callused bench grafts until the field is dry enough to plant them out.

Another good use if you have one is forcing spring bulbs! I used to get tulips and hyacinths late in season when they marked them down to get rid of them in early november. Pot them up and store in the walk in cooler. Then all winter long I would bring out one each week and watch it grow and bloom on my kitchen table. Crocus worked great for this too.

1 Like