Water spray as frost protection

We got down to 31 degrees at about 5:30 am. Currently it is 35.5 at 7:00. All my tiny trees are still in the shade and the wind is about to kick up. I covered them in trash bags late last night. They are still young, and I do not expect fruit , but I did have loads of flowers. Hang in there.

2 Likes

30.5. How about you? How are your trees looking?

2 Likes

Right around 30-32 this morning, with a few flakes of snow!

2 Likes

JinMA, where are you again?

29 F I moved all of my figs, annual sedlings and citrus indoors where they will stay until tomorrow. It is supposed to get down to 36F tomorrow morning but I will not chance it and keep them indoors until tomorrow afternoon.

2 Likes

Vlad, I have a few orange trees which I keep inside mostly. At what time /temp do you bring your citrus plants outdoors? I remember in Spain, the mornings could be quite cool in February and March and their oranges looked happy.

Where I grew up, the orchards burned tires! It was quite a sight.

1 Like

I bring them all in if it is going to get down to 32F. I know that some varieties, like satsumas and kumquats, can take lower temps, but I do not chance it because the cold may kill some flowers and developing buds. Freezing temps can ruin fruit that is on the trees.

1 Like

I will need to talk to you about my satsuma… It is only citrus tree I have and it doesn’t look too happy. I need to figure out a correct yearly procedure with it. May be some day you’ll invite me for a master class!

I would be happy to!!!

You are the boss - just say when. Any weekend.

Don’t do it. I lost my Blushingstar and John Boy last night. It got down to 28°

Google Photos

About halfway up the Pioneer Valley.

It was 29 here last night and you can’t even tell. I guess it depends how much growth you have? Mine are at full bloom ( and look fine right now.) Still in full bloom. Charts say expect ten percent loss which is nothing really.

I just went out to uncover everything because the wind is wicked out there. 22 sustained and 30 mph gusts from the Northwest. Temps 38. Here is what I found:

1 Like

This topic seems to have been split in 2. Some discussing current temperature and weather predictions. And others talking about water spray as frost protection.

Could we maybey split it in 2 seperate topics?

Thanks @oscar. I’m glad they are doing well too. Had them as a kid but this is the longest they have ever lived. They are in a simple aquarium.

1 Like

@oscar
So far, all discussion here appears be related. All about low temperature, cold damage, frost damage, frost protection, etc. I personally think it is OK esp. as long as the OP is fine with it.

If you feel strongly that it should be split, please feel free to create a new thread on the topic you would like to focus on.

As you may notice, going off topics is rather common. We have a thread about persimmons that have several posts about jujubes or a thread about aging peach tree that has ice cream making posts in it, etc.

As long as off topics are not offensive, insulting or politics, people don’t seem to mind. That’s my two cents.

5 Likes

oky, seems reasonable. Lets keep it together than. And you can ignore my post about splitting the topic :slight_smile:

We subscribe to a fruit CSA that’s based in the Yakima, WA area. They posted a picture of some fires they had going to keep their apricots warmer when the temps there dropped suddenly a couple of weeks ago.