Way Down Yonder in the Pawpaw Patch

So they are already setting fruit?

2 Likes

Howdy - wasn’t sure if directed to me but yep - lots of fruit here. Biggest ones are size of circus peanuts or thereabouts

3 Likes

Some of 'em are almost big as the honeyberries I ate last weekend…but there are still some blooms here and there. S.Central Kentucky.

1 Like

No blooms here in middle Tennessee at least in the orchard. I’m sure there are some in the woods.

1 Like

Guess It’s time to send some fruit to NCSU.

4 Likes

@Appleseed Great PAWPAW tree

This should be on Monumental trees
Just looking at a Large Osage Orange tree , and thought of your post
If you haven’t before see the large peach tree on the post here.

(your tree should be on here )
https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/photos/

(although One person said a Osage orange tree in KY would be largest if not split)
http://judscottconsultingarborist.com/2011/01/02/trees-in-history-2/

EDIT
I want to go on about my enthusiasm about your tree
it’s amazing just a tad busy right now (and posted )
Who knows maybe a unknown pawpaw species)
(Franklina (in tea family comes to mind one survivor .)

4 Likes

Just looking at that tree next to the person in it, my 42yr old peach tree is about the same size except for a large branch broke on it last spring after a big snowstorm making the spread of the canopy a lot smaller. That’s a big ol tree! How old is it?

1 Like

I’m waiting on the scientists at NCSU Herbarium to shed some light. They have made an inspection and have flower tissue samples; next fruit samples are going their way.

1 Like

Amazing wild fruits

1 Like

I wish someone would make it Cooler I’m not used to having heat waves in June Bill gates anyone are you listening.

1 Like

Posts were flagged for moderation and comments were removed.

Thanks for sharing Vid. Nice captures. The two Triloba trunks in the picture look eerily Mastodonian. I bow to you and your Clan of Mighty Triloba Hunters.

2 Likes

@Osteen Thank you fellow pawpaw fanatic. The two trunks are quite large 24” at shoulder high and maybe 45’ tall. They look a little larger than that in the photo but still quite large for a pawpaw in full shade. They are the mother trees to the high quality wild fruits I’ve documented on this thread.
I think these larger trees may have been from seed selected elsewhere because they are far superior to anything I’ve found locally. I’ve grafted # 22,9,17,16 and 10 in my orchard and have several friends around the country trying them as well. It’s a fun hobby / obsession that I can’t seem to kick lol

6 Likes

Wow, awesome!!!

1 Like

I visited the patch yesterday to see how things were coming along. Despite a long stretch of high temps and little rain we may still get some fruit.
These larger fruits seem to bear in 1’s and 2’s. I’ve successfully grafted each of the varieties that bore higher quality fruit. I numbered these trees as 22,16,17,9, 10. They have got some growing to do if they are going to reach the size they did last year.

Last year

11 Likes

@vid very large for this early in the season!

2 Likes

@Appleseed are the fruit ripening on the big paw paw? I’d love to see pictures of the purple fruit, if you have any?

3 Likes

Found time to pick some today…gave these to my daughter. She’s holding three of the nicest ones.
She’s 35 and visiting this weekend.
August 19 pawpaw

8 Likes

Becareful I got scorned for exposing geoengineering and operation solar shield on this forum. Which i wasn’t talking about heat waves ,i was talking about our orchards constantly bombarded by aluminum, barium, strontium and for some reason something thats isolated from human blood. I mean there are patents laying all this out, i guess some dont want their illusion shattered.

1 Like

Nice are these wild or cultivars?

3 Likes