Way Down Yonder in the Pawpaw Patch

But if you do that, those aren’t buds that will then give growth, correct? Basically I’m saying that yes, it’s absolutely a viable option for scion material, but you just have to use it correctly to get the desired results.

Not understanding ?

I think … the best Pawpaw scions have visible leaf buds .
I have used scions that did Not have well developed “ visible “ leaf buds. But a round flower bud. Which I rub off.
Down inside there is a bud , at each node, that will grow !
It just needs LOVE …

3 Likes

That was what I was trying to get an answer on- whether a flower bud would actually produce a leaf to create new growth or if it would just die because it was only a flower bud.

There are dormant buds that are more than happy to shoot if you rub off the flower buds. So the cuttings pictured above are fine for grafting.

6 Likes

Thank you for the response @Harbin. I wasn’t sure as I am still learning.

Right - the perfect scion would be plump vegetative buds only, with like an inch between buds.
But yes you can use sections with only flower buds. As you are doing the graft just rub them off.
As has been said, there are vegetative buds “under” the flower buds.
Experienced folks have told me the scion should be from last years growth, versus using older wood, for optimal results.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly,Tony in Omaha likes to graft some Pawpaw scions,with flower buds,so they will fruit that year.
To me,if that happened,the branch may require a lot of support,for the new union.

There is a sucker,coming from a seedling Kentucky Champion,that has been growing for a few years.I’m not sure what to do.Let the thing grow,try to dig and get some roots,or remove completely?
This variety seems to grow like a weed.

I’m no expert but I would never aim to have a graft set fruit the first year. Yikes

1 Like

If it were me, just speaking for myself, I would just cut it flush with the ground and keep it cut until it hopefully dies off.
Looks way too close to the main trunk to try to dig it out. Would be worried I’d damage the main root system.
Nice looking tree though and cool that it’s a KC seedling. Probably not many of those out there.

3 Likes

@TrilobaTracker What’s the latest on KSU financial woes threatening the pawpaw program? I heard talk about lead growers creating a new, more secure repository somewhere. Would like to help on this if I can.

You know, I’m not really sure! All the info I have is what’s posted here.
I would be heartbroken if the pawpaw program shuts down. Wowza

We are breaking way more record high temps than lows.

1 Like

They got a 33 million dollar taxpayer bailout…not sure the date they get or got the money…but they got into trouble and may also misspend the bailout. The top guy resigned for somebody else to deal his problems.

They could save much more money by firing a handfull at the top getting big bucks…but it may still end up little departments like this one get cut.

1 Like

A friend and electrician guru has a most interesting pawpaw in the yard, he wants to cut down. Why?

Well because he doesn’t know any better. This one is at the home place, albeit close to town nowadays. His mother is living and maybe she has an inkling of it’s origin. It’s a strange one too.

It is branched much as an Asian Chestnut with similar bark color and texture with dark dark wide ruffled leaves. It does not appear that the roots are running on top of the ground and populating the yard. What it does is prolific, however. AND THE FRUIT IS DEEP PURPLE!

We had paw paws in our wooded yards as a kid, the standard green fruit, wide light green leaves and white bark. This one is an odd ball. Seems every fruit that drops is fertile putting out root and leaf.

You guys have me geared up, I know this tree is special, better get by before he gets drunk and cranks up the big saw. He hates the tree but talks lovenly about his mother planting it.

4 Likes

Maybe get some scions to share.The skin is purple?What about flesh color?

3 Likes

What!?!
I’m not grafting pawpaws anymore, and even I want one of that one!
C’mon Appleseed… if the guy is gonna whack it, you’ve GOTTA liberate some scions and distribute them!

6 Likes

Appleseed, you definitely have to grab some wood to share from that one. You’re sure you’re talking about purple PAWPAW and not purple PERSIMMONS, right? I know some persimmons can be purple but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of pawpaws being remotely close to purple. Green/white leaves, white/grey bark, and orange/yellow/white flesh are the descriptions I’ve seen.

And just to clarify, I’m not doubting what you are saying, but as Lucky mentioned, that is a wild thing.

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just called my electrician friend, the Rasputin bearded look alike, but gentle as a lamb. Caught him setting up on a job this morning as he mostly works on commercial/industrial controls and transmission, a true “Factory Man”, (author Beth Macey…read the best seller for a whiff of the hills).

Ok, someone asked if I know a pawpaw? Well, a tater is a tater and a pawpaw is a pawpaw. Yes.

I said it wasn’t invasive in the post and I stand corrected. Randy Rasputin tells me this morning he hasn’t cut it because he is diligently chasing down the new growth to keep it contained in the yard.

I’ll go by there today after work but have no idea of what to cut for scion wood. I can’t get into the pawpaw business now because there are a couple hundred pieces of apple scion wood waiting for me in the barn. MY time doesn’t allow this season, there is pressing business laying feet from my door just now. However, I’ll go by today and look-see, and if ambulatory next fall, we’ll see to this. Best I can promise now.

Looks like a wait till fall and spend a bit of time on this, I didn’t know folks liked them so much. Might make some tasty elixir, ehh?

These are a very dark smallish fruit and the tree is yard trained, giving it the appearance of being “tamed,” (it laughs at Randy).

1 Like