Weed Identification Thread

Does anyone recognize this weed? It’s relatively short, no higher than about four or 5 inches and tends to flow or weep over obstacles; with fine leaves, and slight, white flowers. It is extremely prolific and explosively growing. It is not fibrous, it is relatively brittle, almost like a succulent when being pulled. Trying to pull it out with my hands difficult as it rips immediately above the soil level leaving the roots behind. It’s growing here in Central Maryland zone 7. Thank you

2 Likes

That is chickweed. We have it here in PA also. I have been battling it in my garden for years.

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

While kind of bland ( as is Lettuce ) , chick weed is a excellent spring salad green , an free , try some.
The flowers provide a important nectar source for beneficial parasitic wasps, that help control aphids ,etc.
Also a indicator of fertile soil, the kind of place lettuce would grow well
So don’t just look at it as a “weed” it’s a useful plant

4 Likes

Thank you. I am going to try some next time I’m outside

1 Like

Agree with @Hillbillyhort. It’s a pretty decent (and nutritious) salad green. I’ve eaten it on sandwiches. Also used as a potherb. Fun fact: It’s one of the seven herbs included in Nanakusa-Gayu, a traditional “spring tonic” rice porridge in Japan. It’s actually a great cool season living mulch, too; it’s shallow-rooted and will die down as the weather heats up. I’ll take it over creeping charlie any day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please help to identify this weed, it grows in western pa and has a massive root which just kills plants. What is it?

Looks similar to asparagus root, but hard to identify by root system. What does the leaves or flower look like?

It has yellow flowers and grows about 2’ tall. In late summer flowers turn into seeds.
Just did some research and seems like it’s a Ragwort. Not sure if it’s a common or yellow Ragwort.

Here’s a very good resource listing “33 Weeds with Yellow Flowers | Common Yellow Weeds” 33 Weeds with Yellow Flowers | Common Yellow Weeds

According to

“One plant can produce thousands of seeds, which can lie dormant for years.” That’s not fun.

1 Like

Take some pictures of the flowers later and submit it to