Well if the artic raspberry doesn't pan out

Well, that’s some creative marketing, anyway. If it was true, he’d have had no problem selling them like hotcakes all over the state and everyone would be using them. I wish it was; fences are expensive and labor intensive. I doubt even a big thicket of Himalayan blackberries would be an effective barrier to our gargantuan locusts. I’ve thought about trying to establish some kind of stout hedgerow that might work, but it’ll take some years to get established and would itself need to be protected until it was. Maybe when I get to fencing the 48 acres we bought up the road I’ll plant one just inside the fence…should be mature enough for moose testing by the time I turn 100!

the record here is 1330 dressed weight. the 53in. bull i have mounted dressed at 982. yeah they arent the brightest animal but they dont have to be. their sheer size and weight makes up for it.

Yeah, those things are beasts. The deer fencing is a good cheap option; not as permanent but that woven wire gets expensive fast. I started with barbed wire to save money. That worked pretty good, but my posts are 20’ apart and on occasion one would squeeze through. Now I have 6’ orchard wire with a couple strands of barbed on top. About half the fencing has been up since the late '80s and is still doing a fantastic job keeping Bullwinkle and his marauding friends excluded from my tasty exotic moose dessert buffet.

They’re not to be trifled with. Back in the '70s, the Army stationed me in Anchorage. I saw one on the hospital grounds one winter over at the Air Force base and walked up to check it out. I figured it would run away “like they always do.” Well, this Florida boy got a lesson when the hackles on her neck stood up and she pawed the ground just like in a bullfighting arena and charged. I barely had time to dodge behind some birch trees, which she proceeded to chase me around. I think I slapped her on the flank once. The adrenaline was sure flowing. Ever since I’ve been more wary : -) . They do kill people here regularly. I read a news article years ago where a motorcyclist here hit a calf on the highway. He went flying and was lying on the road listening to the poor thing bellow in distress when he heard “clop, clop, clop.” Mama walked up to his prone form and mule kicked him right in the head. Fortunately he had a helmet on and lived to tell.

They’re great eating, though : -) .

2 Likes

lost a friend about 15yrs ago. him and his wife were riding their Harley when a bull stepped out. he died instantly. she survived but was hospitalized for months with many cosmetic surgeries over the years. i almost had to shoot a big cow after i dropped her boyfriend. she charged me 2xs with hackles up pawing the ground 10ft. away. finally i put another round into him and she ran off. i tried to get stationed in AK but got sent to Korea instead. lol! Army for ya!

My son totaled two cars (and two moose) up here. It’s a yearly hazard. I hit one too, but was only going about 3mph when it jumped out front; didn’t even knock it over. Everyone up here knows someone who’s hit one.

I wanted the Army to send me to Europe, but fate had Alaska in store and here I am 45 years later! It got in my blood. I moved away once and was homesick for 8 years. Must be the Scandinavian in my genes.

2 Likes

i hate the heat / humidity so next to AK im in the best place to be. went ice fishing with a buddy 6 yrs ago, that moved to Wasilla 20 yrs ago from here. we fished lake louise and some surrounding lakes. beautiful country up there. i can see why you stayed. ive had some real close calls with moose but have been lucky so far. had a bull brush dirt off the side of my bumper of my jeep cherokee. :wink:

I was floating down a placid river when after a bend I came across a baby moose crossing with momma moose giving me the evil eye. When you are paddling with the current them boats do not have a reverse…

Fortunately they went away. I had with me my .44 with bear loads, I would have hated to have to shoot the mom and the hearing loss that would have entailed.

1 Like

Your comment gives me hope! There’s some sort of beetle around here that apparently just loves arctic raspberry leaves, and mine were looking quite sad last fall. This spring they’re all coming back (quite a surprise as I didn’t expect them to live!) so I’m hoping they do better from here on out!

1 Like

Mine flowered last year but have not flowered yet this year. They seem to spread. Last winter was a very cold winter where there was a lot of snow so they likely spread a bunch during that time. My arctic raspberry have been pest free. I water them with my trees and they kind of just live and thrive. I only watered once a week or less last year and with all my pots it was around a hour which comes to around seconds per pot and they still lived. I do not water at all during winter. They are deceitful little plants because when fall/winter comes they disappear but then they live on through their roots and spread like mad during that time. I think I read they spread through rhizome so we can tell how dangerous those can spread based on other plants. They spread faster than my sedum and that spreads super fast.

1 Like

Well berries are forming!

Having said that I don’t know if it is going to be a one time deal. Earlier they were in pots and I basically flipped some upside down and had the flowers kiss. Now that they are in the ground it is going to be a tad harder.

they are also about 12 feet away, one variety per apple tree on one side of my orchard. We’ll see next year if they want to play nice.

1 Like

record blooms in all my huge patches of arctics this spring. not 1 berry. :frowning:

Wonder what the factor is? Mine are blooming now, and I expect a decent crop as usual…still have a quart or two in the freezer. They’re very dependable here (but then they’re indigenous, so it makes sense they perform well).

1 Like

I transplanted them into the ground after bloom. It looks like right now they are putting their energy towards getting established as opposed to spreading. Berries are looking good with a few over achievers pushing quite a few for their tiny size. I’ll post a picture later.

Steve, the artic hitchhiker that came with your blueberry is a spreader. It did push one flower but it is too early to tell if it will turn into fruit.

1 Like

I’ve tried arctic raspberries twice, and I think 5 different named varieties. The labels are still hanging in there several years into the experiment, but the plants all seem to disappear within a few months. They are never there come the second spring.

they supposedly are here also. they grow great and have spread everywhere but dont develop fruit. right now they are competing with my Rodluvan strawberries from the Strawberry store i grew out. they have great tasting large, for a wild type, strawberry.

Starting to ripen; these photos are from a couple days ago. Looking like a nice crop:

4 Likes

are these wild or cultivated?

Those are the Swedish cultivars. They’re spreading all over and I get more fruit every year. Wild ones have smaller berries and are less fruitful.

1 Like

im jealous. i have 4 different cultivars from 2 nurseries and i still dont get any fruit. i have them in 2 locations in full sun and they have spread over 1/4 of the property in 5 years.