Went ahead and ordered Indar

So I just ordered a gallon of Indar, since it seems to be the best preventative measure for us here in the Hudson Valley of New York. I know how hard it is for most people to get, so if you have any interest in procuring some, I’ll be happy to mail half-pints (enough for 192 gallons, according to Scott’s spray amounts guide) to folks in need.

Or pints, for that matter. Getting it from Martin’s Produce was a little over $300, so half-pints would be, I suppose, $20 + shipping? Maybe I should have posted this in another category, but hopefully this will suffice. Let me know!

3 Likes

Do you know what the shelf life is of Indar?

Ian, are you providing labels, etc. for this re packaged Indar? If not, selling it may open you to severe penalties from the government and the manufacturer.

1 Like

Ah, hadn’t thought of that. I was just going off stories of how others sourced theirs. Particularly this thread:

Also, I wouldn’t look at it as “reselling”, more like some folks pitched in to get it, but perhaps that’s a meaningless distinction. I’d be more than happy to label it with the original instructions. But maybe others have better ideas?

Is the label available online in the PDF format? If yes (and I think most are), then you can print copies and include one with each shipment.

1 Like

The legal technicality is probably on the label that forbids storing the compound in different packaging. This is a law farmers often break if the packaging becomes damaged (say a jug gets accidentally punctured). I don’t know what the consequences of breaking this law is, but the label is the law.

1 Like

I’m no lawyer but a one-time split seems more like sharing with your neighbor. If its a business proposition money being made etc then it would be illegal.

1 Like

I read Indar label. It does not say anything prohibiting splitting. Maybe, my state law does.

Anyway, for a self serving purpose, I am glad I got a portion of it. The label can be looked up on line.

Then splitting is fine with Indar, I bet, and a great way for forum members to deal with the huge quantities in a jug. It is a relatively low risk pesticide.

@scottfsmith what is the product rate per gallon? The label only talks about oz. per acre. Like you I would be applying it to control brown rot, mainly.

Thanks Ian for offering.

Dax

Dax, see the spray amounts guide - Spray amounts guide - looks like 1/4 tsp per gallon.

2 Likes

I wanted to reactivate this post because I have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone know how long the shelf life for Indar might be?
  2. Would anyone be interested in splitting a gallon or maybe going 3 ways on a gallon? I don’t have much interest in sending out 7 pints but if anyone else wants a fairly large amount, I’m about ready to pull the trigger. I can get it from my local co-op for $312 per gallon.

THanks

@thecityman, I’d be happy to send you a half-pint… but I won’t be back at our farm until May 22. Probably too late for you, but just thought I’d put it out there.

That is incredibly nice of you and I am extremely grateful for the offer. People like you on this site continue to surprise me with their level of generosity and kindness. So thank you, very much, for the offer.

I know a little bit of indar goes a long way, but I have around 130 trees now and I tend to spray at least as often as labels allow, so even a half pint wouldn’t last me all that long. Of course a 1/2 pint might get me through until I find 1 or 2 others who want to split or 1/3rd a gallon, but if I ever find out how long the shelf life is (in reality, which could be longer than the manufacturer states?) and if it is fairly long, I’ll probably just break down and buy a gallon myself. Also, as you suggest, May 22 would be too late this year. My earliest peaches usually come in the first week of June.

Anyway, thanks again for the offer! If anyone else sees this and wants to go in 1/2 or 1/3 a gallon, let me know. Also would appreciate any information/experience people have with how long a bottle of Indar might really stay effective/ Thanks

I am SO glad I got Indar. 2nd year in a row, prune plums are ripening and no rot in sight.

6 Likes