What are the options for growing figs in marginal zones?

JustAnn4, sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

I have found that cold hardy, short season figs can take a lot of cold. The problem starts when the sun strikes the fig, during the day. This brings sap up from the root system. Then when the sun goes down, and it drops below 32, the sap freezes. All of our cold hardy figs planted right up against a warmed, south facing wall, have been killed to the ground, every year for the past 12 or so years. While at the same time, the same figs planted at least three feet away from the wall, are able to keep between 8 to 12 inches of top growth.

But, last winter, the figs planted at least three feet from the wall, were killed to the within 3 inches of the ground. While at the same time, a Kathleen’s black held onto about two feet of top growth. It was simply laid flat to the ground, with nothing placed on it. Also, Brooklyn White was able to hold onto about two feet also. It was out at least 30 feet from south facing wall. Although, it was able to keep about two feet of top growth, alive and green, no buds open.

So, it appears each year is different. It depends on so many different factors. How much soil moisture, wind breaks, sun exposure, last crop load, was the plant pinched at the fifth leaf. Was the fig a cold hardy fig. Was the fig a short season fig.

So far. the one constant each year is if the figs are laid down on the ground, as close to the ground as possible, it comes through the winter fine.

Any questions, I can be reached at: robertcharper@gmail.com

Bob Harper

4 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with Robert, whose knowledge has guided my own work with figs here in z5 Maine. Figs laid down and pinned with bags of mulch had up to 3 feet of stem survive last winter’s minimum of -7.
Marsailles Black VS and Malta Black varieties are looking good for a small crop on each. My potted plants are more productive, but that may change as my inground figs establish.

2 Likes

Here are some shots from today of my potted figs. These overwintered in my unfinished basement. I watered them twice during the winter, and brought them outside several weeks ago. They struggled in this spring’s cold weather, but look much better now that the warmth has arrived.

Staten Island Bomb from @SMC_zone6… a strong and vigorous variety:

Brooklyn White was barely hanging on, but now rises like the phoenix (another one obtained in a swap with @SMC_zone6). I have high hopes for it:

1 Like