What have you given up on? Or plan to give up on in 2019

I’m giving up on some variety of summer raspberry I have (I transplanted them from my grandma and don’t know what they are). They only produce enough fruit if I water them. When I get the time and weather, I’m going to mow them, and keep them mowed.

I have some fall raspberries that are growing under/around an oak tree that produce a lot of fruit and don’t seem to be bothered by birds or much of anything. I like being able to mow them off each winter and start with new canes and more berries late summer/early fall each year.

1 Like

Variegated Eureka Lemon.

It’s just too sensitive to the cold. Miewa Kumquat has been a champ and ripened fruit no problem. I haven’t had to move it in to the garage once this year(mild winter here in NE Texas). The variegated lemon on the other hand can’t handle much below 30 even next to my house. It gets zapped, leaves damaged, will eventually defoliate, and spend all its energy putting leaves and new growth with little left to make fruit. Rinse and repeat. Looks great though…

Not giving up, but placing into a pot.

My White Pakistan mulberry will be forever potted due to early bud breaks and lack of hardiness once those buds appear green. I just dug it up the other day. It’s easy enough to toss in the garage and forget about it over winter due to being deciduous.

Think I used to use Stinger on Johnsongrass

have you tried s, cali native gooseberries? google it. there are native ones that do well in your climate. there are some CA nurseries that specialize in native fruit.

I already took out the nectarine I was planning on removing (I never got fruit from it due to squirrels) and it was a hideous thing (it was hit by a falling tree and never aesthetically recovered

I am nearly done trying to overwinter lemongrass. I just barely get it back to where it was the previous year before it is time to bring it inside for the winter and watch it slowly almost die. I already gave up on dragonfruit, between the potting up and moving in and out it was just too vicious a plant for me.

I’d rip out my blueberries, but my dog is quite fond of them. So much so that she watches the bush like a hawk and doesn’t even wait until they are ripe to strip them off and eat them.

Scott

4 Likes

I gave up on jewel black raspberries. I loved the way they tasted and apparently they are easy to grow but mine where almost instantly wiped out by crown borer, not to mention the berries were tiny.
I gave up on ground cherries because I didn’t like the taste.
Melons are a no go due to clay soil.
I almost yanked out a 6 year rosseyanka persimmon but it has put on good growth the past few years, still no fruit so it is being watched.
Last I tried growing a salavatski pom and it died roots and all in spite of being winter protected like my figs that made it in zone 6b. I wonder if it actually was the right pom or mislabeled, it seemed to be healthy up until the point it lost its leaves?
I have to say if I lived in a zone marginally too cold for peaches or nectarines I would find a way, summer wouldn’t be complete without a warm peach right off of the tree.

Amy; my honey berries grow great in shade under my apple trees zone 6b

3 Likes

Last visit to Silver Creek Campground (California) I noticed something resembling small red Gooseberries on small bushes that grew low to the ground. As far as I could gather, those were wild Gooseberries. Not sure if this is the same variety you speak of. If so, would they be worth cultivating? They seemed small, grew mainly in shade, and seemed more like ground cover.

2 Likes

Every year I have fewer and fewer pomegranates bushes. No one eats the fruit. And every cultivar ripens differently which is a real pain. They’re just not worth the time.

2 Likes

Scott,
Did those Chilean Guava that I sent,produce any flowers or fruit?bb

1 Like

You don’t care for the flavor? My daughter loves Poms and would love to grow them but not worth trying it here.

Almost all poms are hardy to 25F but the hardy ones can take more. Mine survive fine with the figs, but I never let it drop below 25F. Figs can take lower temps. All of mine went from lows in the 40’s then one night it hit 21F. 2 fig trees died. Most were damaged, but a few older trees had no damage at all. Figs are the most hardy sub tropical plant I have seen,

They are one of my favorite fruits. I have to try and grow them. Looking great too. They grow like figs or willows, look like willows! Well the leaves. Fast growing early fruiting. Often drop flowers when young, as mine did, probably over watered too. I can see it producing fruit easily as it flowered like crazy. I sure hope it does. They all survived that freeze too, except maybe the flower buds, why they dropped 2nd leaf, or could be? The wood was undamaged except for a few tips. They seem like they will work here. Time will tell.

try doing a search. there are many species and some are like a low sprawling ground cover. try searching western coastal gooseberry. some are edible and some are more ornamental. i grow the crandal clove currant ( Ribes odortatum) its a native of the midwest and is drought and heat tolerant. not a gooseberry but related and tastes like one minus the thorns. the western currant (Ribes ceraum) is native to all the west and is also heat and drought tolerant. i have these as well but wpbr keeps infecting them here but in your climate they would do fine. pm me in mid may and ill send you some cuttings. they root very easily.

1 Like

No one has any problem with the flavor of pomegranates. The problem is that pomegranates are just seeds accompanied by a tiny ball of juice. They’re not an easy/enjoyable fruit to eat.

3 Likes

Many have soft seeds, Not hard to eat at all.

1 Like

Castanea has this one right. Even if you know the tricks of separating out the eatable from the rest they don’t qualify in my book as easy to eat. They aren’t worth the effort to me.

1 Like

Have you thought about juicing them? Not sure how easy that would be considering the membranes. But that dark red juice is some good stuff.

1 Like

i enjoy the work to eat poms. like cracking nuts. i eat everything except the rind. tasty buggers! wish i could grow them here. when they are in season at the store , i buy a doz. a week. my father used to call them indian apples.

I’ve grown plenty with “soft” seeds. They still have no flesh. It’s just a drop of juice with a seed.

1 Like

I’ve juiced hundreds of pomegranates. It’s not simple, and drinking juice is not the same as eating fruit. I would rather have one productive apricot tree than 500 pomegranate trees.

3 Likes

I used to enjoy the work for the first 10 years I grew them, but it really got old.

And let’s not forget that cultivars ripen differently which just adds more work.