What is going on today 2017?

@Drew51, you made me laugh out loud with that one! I wish I could give fruit to everyone here who needs some this year!

And while I appreciate the compliments about my generosity from the rest of you, I must confess that its as much fun for me to give the fruit boxes away as it is for those who get them. For one, it gives me a chance to “show off” what I’ve grown. Two, if I didn’t give it away, much of it would just go to waste and I could never tolerate that! Three, I’m a big believer in Karma/ what goes around comes around. The next time I need a favor its a lot easier to get help from someone you’ve given a box of fruit to. I guess I’m making myself sound a lot less philanthropic and pure of heart, but it didn’t feel right having you all think I was a saint for giving away my harvest.

Looking at my fruit boxes, one thing I must confess to is a bit of pride. But more importantly, I hope I can convince some other new fruit grower just getting started that if I can do it, you can do it. Just 5 short years ago I started planting fruit trees on my new place in the country. As some of you may remember from back on the other fruit growing site (now Houzz), no one knew less than I did-no one. I honestly thought I could plant apple seeds from my favorite apples and I’d be picking the same kind of apples a few years later- didn’t even know what a graft was! I could go on and on. I had no idea what a “zone” even was, let alone which one I was in. I never knew any fruit had to be sprayed…thought you just planted a tree and waited a few years for the fruit. The point is, to all new growers, no one knew less than me. Fast forward 5 years to now. To be clear, I’m absolutely not an expert at all…not even close. I’ll NEVER have the knowledge of @scottfsmith, @fruitnut, @Olpea, @jujubemulberry, @alan, or countless others on here (I left off a LOT of knowledgable experts). However, with the help of everyone here on GF I have managed to learn the basic information that I need to grow some pretty darn good fruit! I’ve learned from the aforementioned experts, but also from folks here just like me who have learned a thing or two that they’ve passed on to me when I ask questions. In short, this site is a community that works together and helps everyone at every level to learn and grow better fruit. So if you’re new and you often feel like the more you read the less you know and the more confused you become- don’t worry! If you feel like you’ll never know half of what others here do, then you may be right, but also know that you may not have to in order to get some good fruit. I’m still on the very low end of knowledge and understanding of fruit growing, yet I’ve produced plums, peaches, cherries, apples, persimmons, pears, figs, berries of every kind, pluots, nectarines, and more that almost anyone would be proud of. I’ve had countless failures and made mistakes so dumb you wouldn’t believe it- but I’ve still managed to learn enough to grow some darn good fruit. SO new growers, take heart. No one started lower on the scale of understanding than I did. Its good that fruit trees take a few years to bear, because I’ve learned most of what I know AFTER I got some trees in the ground. You can to. So to anyone who feels overwhelmed or lost at times, I’ve been there and I’m still there in many areas. But I’ve also reached a point where I have lots of wonderful fruit to eat and give away from early spring until late fall. And it’s been worth it! The satisfaction I feel from giving away those boxes of fruit and the enjoyment I get from stepping out my door and picking the best fruit I’ve ever tasted…it all confirms that fruit growing is the best hobby I’ve ever known and I encourage anyone with even a small bit of space to try it. Its often frustrating and heartbreaking, but the pride and satisfaction and the good fruit you get make it worth the difficulties. Long live Fruit Growing!

20 Likes

well said! i believe heathy fruits can be part of a better heathy lifestyle because of the great nutrients and other beneficial organic chemicals that are found in fruit to help battle so many diseases . the chinese and japanese have really reaped the benefits and know how important certain fruits, vegetables and mushrooms are to health and longevity. we need to educate as many new growers of the benefits of growing fruit. people like you inspire others to get into the hobby and strive to produce the quality and variety of fruit you have shared. like you said, not many have eaten fresh figs. just tasting one may imprint its taste on the consumer and make that person strive to grow his own figs. you remind me of my father who used to have all the neighbors kids helping him in his garden and yard. he would reward them with fresh fruit and veg. to bring home. the kids would constantly ask him if the apples were ready! he even had a small garden near the road so the kids could come get peas when he wasn’t home. many of these kids that are now adults , have gardens and fruits tress all over their yards! i see these people now and they proudly talk about their gardens and tell me they were glad to have my father spark their interests in growing things. keep up the good work Kevin! your making our world a better place.

6 Likes

it is a futile endeavor @thecityman, your modesty and self-depreciation have no effect–whatsoever-- on the fact that we are all peers/equals here.

besides, it is so much safer to regard any knowledge which might be posted here as nothing more than points to consider, and not necessarily gospel truth.

4 Likes

Did a lot of tree trimming around the farm with the Sawzall today. Cut off a lot of limbs from black walnuts that were drooping over various areas. Those trees grow like weeds around here. Also cut off some sycamore limbs that were hanging way too low over the barn driveway.

Cleared off the area around the chicken coop of easy to pull but fast growing weeds. Got started clearing out some cane like weed, that can turn into a pretty substantial almost tree like plant before we had to stop for the evening.

We seem to have pokeweed growing pretty prolifically around the farm. It has pink hollow stalks and stems, and the berries are black. They look almost like a black currant, but they’re not. From what I’ve read, they’re not edible, and toxic. Pretty looking, but not to be eaten. Got to get rid of that stuff…

1 Like

I enjoy it too, I got about 120 to 150 Arctic Glo nectarines off my tree. I should have thinned more, they were small, anyway I gave my wife 30 this morning (to hand out at work) and in 5 minutes of being there they were all gone. My wife said that the medical staff was eating them during the morning huddle with lots of juice running down chins and slurping. No matter how many I grow, the hospital emergency staff can down them in minutes!
Last year i gave my mailman some, he said he never ate a nectarine! Never made a comment about them, and so he’s not getting any this year. I gave my neighbors some on every side of me, and I still have a fridge full. I have another nectarine tree not ripe and 2 peach trees, and plum trees loaded too. I have enough trees, glad I didn’t add more. Also Arctic Glo just so rocks it, I wish all the fruit was even close to how good that one is. A few are, and any that are not will get top worked eventually.

6 Likes

Spent a lovely sunny morning cutting flowers for the market on Saturday. The sunflowers are finally ready, all are in the cooler now and I am off to flip hay. Have a great day everyone.

17 Likes

Wow, awesome flowers, love it!

4 Likes

Horrible weed - hard to get rid of

1 Like

That might be an arguable point in that my knowledge base might be lower. When you guys talk about Joe and Jill Public buying trees at the local WalMart thinking “oh, lets grow some peaches, pears, plums!” —That’s me!! At least it was two years ago. And then I had a bit of a problem and found this forum and now daily I continue learning how much I don’t know! That said I can take a bag of black berries, ground cherries, muscadines, or even just a few jujubes to work and maybe show them a picture of my grafts that are growing and I become knowledgeable in their eyes. So sometimes I feel that I am being productive. But at the same time I come home and look at a tree and just feel so frustrated because I wonder if this a disease process I’m looking at, or HOW am I going to prune this, or when am I supposed to pick this fruit, or what tree do I need to pollinate, etc. But I have a resource here and to you that have all this knowledge I say Thank You for sharing. I have even caught myself at work saying “I have this friend that grows…” and it’s one of you forum members of whom I am speaking.

6 Likes

you grow good for zone 2!

2 Likes

Here’s a New Century Asian Pear tree. First time with fruit on it. There are currently 11 pears, 5 of which are in zip lock bags. I used the organic spray routine of Surround and Spinosad about every 10 to 15 days for approximately 4 sprays starting when the fruit was pea sized. PC still got it a little, before I even did the first spray, but the pears seemed not to mind. Stay away squirrels!

8 Likes

I put in four grape vines this spring at the end of the apple rows. I have always heard the rhyme 1st year they sleep, second year they creep, and third year they leap. My vines are doing all three this year. I am training them, in my head, to the first and third wire and running cordons up to the next wire for the grapes. By putting them on the end of the trellis, I am hoping to essentially be able to cage them with netting in am attractive or at least not hideous way.

Cayuga, sleeps

Noble and Niagra creeps

Catawba, holy f@&*

6 Likes

Nicely-shaped pear tree!

3 Likes

My first peach harvest ever, Loring, some late Legacy blueberries and the last Breba on my Flatbush White

22 Likes

YUM!!! Beautiful!

1 Like

FINE-looking peaches!

2 Likes

Hey Steve. I don’t want to get all sappy here, but your post really touched me in a lot of ways. First, I LOVED hearing the story about what your dad used to do in terms of giving away produce AND getting future generations into the hobby. I often lay my watermelons and other produce I have an abundance of, so I can certainly relate to his thoughts and motives and reasons for doing that. I can absolutely 100% envision me following in your dads footprints by getting young kids to help out and therefore be involved and hopefully fall in love with growing fruits and veggies. The picture you drew really took me back to a simpler time (I’m only 46 so I don’t mean in my own life, but just picturing what it was like back then for your dad). One of the many things I love since moving into the country is just how life is slower here and really seems like what I imagine life used to be like for a lot more people. There is also a level of trust and closeness with neighbors that I didn’t see in the cities. You mentioned how your father would -by design- make his pea patch available for neighbors to stop and pick when he wasn’t home. I do exactly the same thing with my tomatoes…I plant two very long rows that are honestly less than 4 feet from the edge of payment, and I’ve told everyone I know and even several “passers by” that I don’t know that they are welcomed and encouraged to stop and get some tomatoes any time they want to…and LOTS of people do. Those “community tomatoes” have been a bigger success than other free things I’ve done. I see someone stop there almost every day, and they just pick a very small number of them to take home and eat fresh. When I’ve put watermelons out someone often will get them all- I once had a guy get about 25 watermelons!!! ANYWAY, my point here is just to tell you how much I appreciated your e-mail and how much I could relate to- and agree with- everything you said. Like you, I really do hope we can inspire more people to enter the hobby. This website has without a doubt done a lot to advance the hobby and the number of people enjoying it. Thanks again for your response to my OP.

4 Likes

I’m Blueberry picking at Brady’s backyard,front yard,side yard and rooftop orchard.Someone once said,a person can never have enough Blueberries.That guy can have some of my plants. Brady

8 Likes

Excellent! Gratifying isn’t. So pretty you will want it to last forever!

3 Likes

I think I said Raspberries.

2 Likes