What is going on today 2017?

Those roots look really good compared to some of the ones I get that are larger but have several broken ones that I end up pruning back. Like Mamuang says, soak them and they will do fine… Really do look good.

That looks just like the nect I got from Bay Laurel, and it was a Dave Wilson tree, too

I’d like to know who does this cutting-back.

Planted it Sunday, hoping the green leaf-tips survive the little cold snap we’re about to have. Had to stake it, since I can’t expect those roots to hold it up in the ground

You guys all made me feel better. THanks. I really am glad to get all the varieties I did, although the timing is a little depressing since its hard to plant $200 in stone fruit trees a week after frost killed all my stone fruit and made me second guess if I should even try. Oh well. At least every few years I’ll have some great tasting fruit! ha

2 Likes

Looks like a great selection of fruit tress! The nurseries cut back the roots to plant in pots to prolong their selling season. Also roots are pruned before planting to avoid crossing roots. Those were pruned to much but that’s to fit them all in pots. My local nursery has started using square fiber pots that seem to fit a little more root. Very nice looking trees, enjoy your harvest!

Are you saying Dave Wilson cut them back and potted them, or the retailer did?

Given that mine was shipped at the beginning of March, I find it hard to believe they were prolonging a selling season

I’m not sure about that. These were bought, shipped, sold and shipped again and were always represented to be bare root trees. I don’t think there was ever an intention to pot them up- either by the retail nursery (Peaceful Valley) or the end customer who buys them as bare root trees to be planted in ground. I’m not sure they don’t trim the roots so much just to make them easier to handle, take up less space when shipping, and so on.

Thanks for the kind words on my selection. Hopefully these guys will all live and I’ll one day get a spring without a late frost so I can try all these fruits! ha. Thanks.

This is done by the nursery you bought from. They sell those trees all summer at bay laurel and peaceful valley.This holds true for almost all the nurseries here in California. In fact they probably sell a lot more after they are potted. A lot of nurseries just pot their bare root trees right off the bat. So, when they get them from Dwn, they trim roots and pot up. The ones they ship, they put aside and ship bareroot. I bought a potted 4in1 pluot from Bay laurel for a friend. If they only did bare root their would be way less sales and lots of waste. Your selection of fruit is very nice, they should do well for you. Enjoy!

1 Like

Wish Dave Wilson did retail sales

That for sure is true. The nursery is in California and most trees are now flowering. To tell the truth it is surprising they are still shipping trees. They say they are done after the first week of March or so, I guess they extended it some? Usually Peaceful Valley sends trees here in January. So I would only order late, whatever they have left, what I think Kevin did.

I wish I could say that was my grand plan, Drew, but I’m afraid it was mostly just me procrastinating! ha.

But like you said, Peaceful Valley usually stops shipping by now, that’s why I was having a hard time understanding how or why they would be potting trees up for extended season.

I’m really glad you posted about this, and when we talked earlier about these nurseries. I certanily plan to order late from Peaceful. I order a few products from them time to time. Bay Laurel the first week in March is usually OK, but this year it’s too wet. I’m still waiting to plant out Juliet Bush Cherry. My yard is a mud pit! I should be able to plant in a few days. I have a blueberry too, I need to get that in the ground!

1 Like

I hear ya about the wet soil, ours is still sopping wet. We’re supposed to have three more days of dry weather so I’ll be out there laying down the lime. But, it’s supposed to start raining again starting Saturday. I’m getting anxious as I need to also get the tractor out and plow, but you can’t plow in the mud! While I was away in OK, folks around here took advantage of the warm weather and went ahead and plowed. But, I think it’s actually too early.

I think what everyone is having a hard time realizing is that people go to these nurseries to buy all sorts of plants, flowers, trees, ect. all year long. They are probably done shipping out bareroots , so now they sell potted trees all summer long and into winter, when they get their new shipment in. It probably is not wise to buy a potted tree in the middle of summer but they sell plenty and the trees do fine.

Well it reached 65 today and was beautiful. I managed to get Romeo, Carmine Jewell, Issai Dwarf Mulberry, and Scarlett Crush in the ground. I’m paying for it though with my back.

1 Like

I caught a dry spell, put mine out, and in time to get in on the copper spray

1 Like

I also caught a dry spell and sprayed oil and copper.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the reminder. I got one spray in a while ago, but one more right now would be very effective.

1 Like

February 22nd

New cherry 6GM25

Arctic Star

February 27

Arctic Star

Kishu Mandarin

Anna Apple

Parfianka Pomegranate

February 28

Bee on Arctic Star

March 2

Sweet Treat Pluerry

Arctic Star

March 4

Full Bloom Arctic Star

Sweet Treat Pluerry

Double delight Nectarine

March 15

March 21

Arctic Star

Kishu Mandarin

Arctic Star

Sweet Treat Pluerry

Flavor Grenade

Burgundy Plum

19 Likes

Very nice pics, great detail. Judging by the plants and fruit already forming, would you happen to be in California? What is that on the Arctic Star, a wasp of some type?

That could be a type of Bee fly. Brady